Whats a load?

Tom D

Have you ever bought a bag of chips from a fish and chip shop?

No given weight, volume, mass, chip count, etc.

Buy any aggregates by the ton in the winter from a waterlogged quarry if you want to see a "legit" variation in volume. :thumbdown:

Bob

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats true Dave, but most load tend to be mixed anyway. Thing is, I'm not talking about babysitting the log buyer through the process, there has to be a level of individual responsibility, if you buy a load of rotten willow, then tough luck, you won't buy from that guy next time. All I am suggesting is that the consumer should know how much per cube he is paying, thats it. Maybe it would be nice to have a maximum moisture content, but that could be problematic. But at the very least you need to know how much you are getting, we simply wouldn't stand for this with any other commodity.

Yes, fair do's, that would be a start :thumbup1:

you have added complexity when you bring in different bags my 0.73m bag is a different cubic rate to full cube bag and same again for barrows and the nets and then same again for the softwoods so quoting someone your cube price could be 6 or 8 prices but I agree on standardising volume as the measure, the amount of orders we get for a ton or a load have certainly decreased over the last couple of years.

You mentioned earlier that you sold wood in Edinburgh for 120 a cube, so you must have worked it out, or was it 120 a bag, in which case its £164 per cube.. Its no effort to add this minor detail on to your advertising. Sell in what ever bag sizes you like, just put the per cube equivalent price on there as well.

You mentioned earlier that you sold wood in Edinburgh for 120 a cube, so you must have worked it out, or was it 120 a bag, in which case its £164 per cube.. Its no effort to add this minor detail on to your advertising. Sell in what ever bag sizes you like, just put the per cube equivalent price on there as well.

always refers to the bag anything further is not necessary. putting the various cube prices just complicates it more

Firewood should be sold by volume and nothing else. Price per cubic metre. Whether it's a ton bag, bulk bag, builders bag, trailer load or tipper load - these are just methods of delivery and irrelevant to price.

Secondly, once we've educated the customers to the above, we need to get them to buy the blasted firewood unseasoned. Any right thinking person looks after their own firewood needs and ensures that it's dry themselves. That way, there is no quibble regarding moisture content.

Finally, once the first two steps have been completed, we can drop prices. If prices are more affordable and more consistent, it becomes a fuel source, rather than a luxury item. £120 for a cube of firewood is nuts. You'd get that through a processor in 15 minutes for a maximum of a £30 raw material and labour cost. Where does the extra £90 come from?

Firewood should be sold by volume and nothing else. Price per cubic metre. Whether it's a ton bag, bulk bag, builders bag, trailer load or tipper load - these are just methods of delivery and irrelevant to price.

Secondly, once we've educated the customers to the above, we need to get them to buy the blasted firewood unseasoned. Any right thinking person looks after their own firewood needs and ensures that it's dry themselves. That way, there is no quibble regarding moisture content.

Finally, once the first two steps have been completed, we can drop prices. If prices are more affordable and more consistent, it becomes a fuel source, rather than a luxury item. £120 for a cube of firewood is nuts. You'd get that through a processor in 15 minutes for a maximum of a £30 raw material and labour cost. Where does the extra £90 come from?

nonsense

Ha! you said in the other thread that they were cube bags... were they? or were they 0.73?

This is my point, some other guy could go to your customer and offer them a bag for less, but that bag might only be 05 cube.. so he's not actually cheaper than you. If everybody gives a per cube price the customer knows where he stands.

Looking at your prices

1 cube bag = £120 per cube

.73cube bag =£129per cube

80l net = £109per cube (bargain IMO) especially as they are stacked,

Can't say for the mini bag as I don't know the volume, but i wouldn't be much effort to add these figures to your site, and perhaps you could put up the price of your nets, they seem hellish cheap compared to the bulk bags which must be so much easier to fill.

nonsense

I strongly disagree.

£120 for 250-300 kg (which is what a cubic metre is) of dry timber is ridiculous. It's more expensive (per solid cubic metre) than pressure treated sawn softwood. It's about what I charge for larch posts, rails and cladding. The firewood is the waste element when cutting that.

That's the problem with firewood in this country. It's a niche product that people only use when they see frost outside. Until it's widely accepted as a standard form of heating, it will always be boom or bust for firewood merchants. Better to make a small profit and sell lots (and consistently) than overcharge a few customers and go under when we have a mild winter.

It's endemic in the UK. Everything is overpriced, there is no correlation between production cost and final product cost. It's profiteering and it is (in my opinion) one of the reasons we swing between boom and bust.

Raw material A cost + labour cost + reasonable profit = final price.

Ha! you said in the other thread that they were cube bags... were they? or were they 0.73?

This is my point, some other guy could go to your customer and offer them a bag for less, but that bag might only be 05 cube.. so he's not actually cheaper than you. If everybody gives a per cube price the customer knows where he stands.

Looking at your prices

1 cube bag = £120 per cube

.73cube bag =£129per cube

80l net = £109per cube (bargain IMO) especially as they are stacked,

Can't say for the mini bag as I don't know the volume, but i wouldn't be much effort to add these figures to your site, and perhaps you could put up the price of your nets, they seem hellish cheap compared to the bulk bags which must be so much easier to fill.

they were cube bags that I posted yesterday I don't have the size to hand but you can get them off the baker site we do both 1m3 and .73. 0.25 and they all have different prices not just a division of a single price so to say the packaging method is irrelevant to a published cube price is nonsense.