Whats a load?

Tom D

I have only sold logs in cube bags and have never had any problems,I have a bit on my website about "loads" good post Tom as I believe it's the way forward for both customers and suppliers.

Your right Ian it's the way forward but bag firms are now producing bags that are marked as cubes but fall short

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think we are arguing about the same thing here. Obviously a cubic meter of timber is going to be app a ton and busting it down is only going to increase the volume.My argument is if you were just tossing big lumps of logs in a cubic meter bag it will not load without massive airgaps. The smaller logs will settle down in the same space with less overall wasted space. If we are laying them down carefully on a pallet in an organised manner the bigger logs will be heavier.

When the lads load chogs in the bin like this with the telehandler they get a fraction of the weight in there that can be achieved by hand stacking smaller stuff.

Bob

imagejpg2_zps010447f6.jpg

Read it again.

Look at the timber lorries on the road the ones carrying small sticks are stacked way higher than the ones carrying big logs.

Please can some one weigh some logs to settle this argument!

You said 2" well short of bolsters, 6" right to top??!!

I can categorically state if you fill a cube bag (or pick up truck load area) with 6" logs versus 18" logs (without stacking 18" into rows) the 6" will weigh far more.

Edit: I agree cube selling is best way and for those customers that would order small logs to get more timber... They need to remember small logs burn quicker!

Edited by Wood wasp

You said 2" well short of bolsters, 6" right to top??!!

I can categorically state if you fill a cube bag (or pick up truck load area) with 6" logs versus 18" logs (without stacking 18" into rows) the 6" will weigh far more.

Edit: I agree cube selling is best way and for those customers that would order small logs to get more timber... They need to remember small logs burn quicker!

No. I said 2' not 2"

I dont think we are arguing about the same thing here. Obviously a cubic meter of timber is going to be app a ton and busting it down is only going to increase the volume.My argument is if you were just tossing big lumps of logs in a cubic meter bag it will not load without massive airgaps. The smaller logs will settle down in the same space with less overall wasted space. If we are laying them down carefully on a pallet in an organised manner the bigger logs will be heavier.

When the lads load chogs in the bin like this with the telehandler they get a fraction of the weight in there that can be achieved by hand stacking smaller stuff.

Bob

imagejpg2_zps010447f6.jpg

Thats a bit different Bob, a stacked load will always be neater and denser, however although a loose load of small logs will have smaller air gaps they are more numerous. Trust me, I weighed bulk bags years ago and big logs weigh more.

By your logic a cube of loose kindling will weigh more than a cube of loose logs....

Thats a bit different Bob, a stacked load will always be neater and denser, however although a loose load of small logs will have smaller air gaps they are more numerous. Trust me, I weighed bulk bags years ago and big logs weigh more.

By your logic a cube of loose kindling will weigh more than a cube of loose logs....

I will have to bow down here at this point Tom because I have never been involved with cubic meter bags of logs. I just have this vision that the big logs wont go into a bag as easily as the smaller logs unless you are really trying hard to organise the contents. Pallet stacking for sure would be heavier with the big logs. Please dont use the word logic anywhere near my name again :)

Bob

I will have to bow down here at this point Tom because I have never been involved with cubic meter bags of logs. I just have this vision that the big logs wont go into a bag as easily as the smaller logs unless you are really trying hard to organise the contents. Pallet stacking for sure would be heavier with the big logs. Please dont use the word logic anywhere near my name again :)

Bob

It is a funny one, and goes against what you would expect!

I fill my log cages with rings then split them into an identical second cage. I always end up with one and a bit cages of split logs for each single cage of rings.

As mentioned before though, it is very dependant on how carefully you place the logs of both sizes.