Fracture Pruning Retrenchment on Fulham Oak

David Humphries

Its like a 'loss-leader', to borrow a hideous marketing term.

You're showing everyone in a high profile area what a careful and ecologically considerate company you are in the hope that they'll ask you to top out their leylandii hedge.

Yeh nice to get a pat on the back from jo public now and then!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, just taking the pi$$, But seriously I work in conservation and can really see the benefit of this kind of work from a landscape point of view, i havent made my mind up from an ecological view point.

i can imagine that it allows more ecological nieches, but what about the long term health of the tree, is it reducing the life expectancy? although we know dead wood is good (in the right situation) is this going to cause more headaches down the line when large limbs are dead and causing a risk to public (as i imagine this technique to be mostly used in parkland and amenity areas)

i can imagine that it allows more ecological nieches, but what about the long term health of the tree, is it reducing the life expectancy? although we know dead wood is good (in the right situation) is this going to cause more headaches down the line when large limbs are dead and causing a risk to public (as i imagine this technique to be mostly used in parkland and amenity areas)

The health of the tree plays a close second fiddle here as safety is the primary concern.

By sail reducing, all be it small in this case, we are hopefull of reducing the risk of the tree toppling, thus potentialy extending the trees current life expectancy.

In respect to the hazard of dropping dead branches, this is why the dead hedge is in place. The target has been moved away.

I just got wind of this. First I have heard of it. While pruning of this nature may have some type of value. I cannot understand it being promoted as a standard practice.

I have seen many trees that could not callous or heal over as quickly as they could because of dead splinters hindering the natural process. Have always beleived a properly placed cut with a saw would heal much better.

But that is when you have a justified reason for making the cut with your saw in the first place. Having a hard time rapping my mind around this one?

Seems a bit of a backward process to me?

I agree, i can't find this practical or good. One it makes tree's look awful, you really want your trees look storm damaged??? Don't make sense, two i agree with above it seems like the tree would have such a hard time healing. What are the long term affects? Is this common, i still don't understand the appeal or advantage in anyway.

Call me close minded but you'll never find me participating in this practice.

it makes tree's look awful, you really want your trees look storm damaged???

I think thats the point though, i was walking around a local NT property over the weekend where they had used this technique, and also "normal" cuts with a chainsaw, in an open parkland setting, this technique looks far more natural than straight cuts, the other trees just look like they have been attacked by a chainsaw.

BUT...it is a bit unusual seeing a tree where all the limbs appear to have snapped of at the same distance from the tree, thus keeping its natural shape!