Fracture Pruning Retrenchment on Fulham Oak

David Humphries

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tree is in a line of at least a dozen trees surely they should all be massacred or all left alone. .

Ive been at this site about 22 years now, and know my tree stock relatively well, its about 27 years till i'm due to retire,

so you never know I may just get around to the other 12 trees at some point.

Especialy as they are also affected by Armilaria.

The point being the Fulham Oak is not the only one that may be massacred over time.

This job was not an agenda driven one off.

Really interesting thread, thanks Monkeyd - this isn't something I have had the opportunity to try yet. I can see why some folks get in a sweat about it as it goes against the grain of how we are used to doing things, but hey, new research will always bring up new stuff to try on certain trees. I like it.

I wonder if there were people a few years ago saying things like, flush cutting has always worked for me, i dont see why i should change now, and leaving the collar on looks so untidy.......

I remember a job we did a few years ago, for an american in wilmslow. Built a big pond, and did one side in local stone, incorporating planting pockets for marginals. He called us back a week later, because there was dirt getting in the water. Had us take all the planting out, and concrete up all the pockets. Nice tidy pool, not a hint of nature or plant life anywhere.

I think its great that someone is actually trying out new ideas and techniques, and its great to see some healthy debate. Its a pity that the best argument mustered by some of the more vocal antis amounts to "i dont like all those raggedy cuts"

No-one gives a rats ass whether or not you like them, the point is, what is best for this tree, in this situation?

Ok my tuppenyworth.

Was it necessary to fracture prune each and every limb? Personally, I think there is a case for fracture pruning, but that looks way over the top. Surely some traditional pruning mixed with the occasional fracture would have been a better (looking) result? No-one I know likes the look of a heavily flailed hedgerow, but it survives and probably provides a haven for all kinds of wildlife, do we really need this in trees?

Then there is the safety issue, using saws in complex positions, esp when climbing. Yes maybe an "art form", but not a safe art form. Are we suddenly going to see an increase in mishaps where young inexperienced climbers try to work beyond their new-found abilities, or are NPTC going to have to have a whole new unit specifically for this trend.

Hats off to you, Monkeyd, for running this thread, and showing what can be done with a saw, and sme imagination, but I cant see many clients in my area adopting it as the way forward. A special job for a special place maybe.

My view is that nature will cope well without man but non intervention pays no bills.

Pays mine mate. And pays it well.

I don't think its unusual to spec an individual tree differently from the rest of its fellows. Different consideration = different spec, very orthodox. The rest are not exposed or at risk as a result of the works.

What are we trying to achieve? We're trying to

a) mitigate risk

b) maintain visual amenity

c) prolong the SULE (safe useful life expectancy)

d) improve habitat

The current spec does all of these. If you could provide a different spec that achieved those four aims, lets hear it.

Remember we are talking about a technique used in certain circumstances. Specifically woodland areas.

As for looking like pikeys. Thats a subjective statement really isn't it? Joe public isn't looking at your cuts to work out whether you're a pikey, he's looking at your truck/dog/headed paperwork.

On the subject of stub cuts, that has been suggested and indeed trialled (Lonsdale 1999). The idea being that the tree compartmentailises the stub and shows you where the BPZ occurs.

Ask yourself the following question...

If you were shown irrefutable evidence tomorrow proving that leaving habitat stub cuts was good for the tree and ecosystem. Would you do it?

Answers on a postcard...

Ask yourself the following question...

If you were shown irrefutable evidence tomorrow proving that leaving habitat stub cuts was good for the tree and ecosystem. Would you do it?

Answers on a postcard...

Of course. Makes pruning without spikes so much easier.....

Hello

When I first heard about fracture prunning I couldn't believe it, I had just left a street contract company and the idea of rips and tears was completly out of the question. It even went against all I'd learnt at college. I started working at this place and not far from this tree theres a red oak that was frature prunned about 5 years ago, in fact it was the tree where they got trained doing this thecnique. And the tree reacts in the same way as in a conventional reduction, full of shoots all over the rips, one wouldn't notice the rips because the growth on them is so vigorous.

I did a good part of this tree and it was my first time fracture prunning besides coroneting old dead trunks.

As thecnique goes you need to be at the very best level, its all about positioning you have to be extremelly fit... :alberteinstein::proud:

Not at all its basically top cut pull and rip, ok doing coronet cuts a bit different, one as to cut at strange angles against the grain but even that doesn't bother me at all. Theres this old school guy that refuses to do coronet cuts because its to dangerous and theres no point bla bla... Even him the other day was having a go at it and I only said it joking ' now just finish it of with coronet' I was quite amazed. I personally dont think that its so dangerous...

Finally:

I think that fracture prunning in the right place its a good thing to do, is it better for the tree? I dont know but from what I've seen in the red oak it doesn't look like it minds at all...

And if I try to put myself in a tree shoes I can see why the tree doesn't mind. A tree is much more familiar with a rips and tears than with chainsaw cuts they've survived with storm damage for much longer than human clean cuts!

Jack-arb

Were you trying to replicate the storms of 87 :)

I like it an intresting experiment and be intresting to see how it responds.

I'd never be allowed to spend 4 days on a job like that though, 4 hours if i'm lucky.

My only question is if your trying to promote crown reccesion then why the whole crown? Surley your trying to promote a natural cycle of an Oaks life? Where by its top dies out so it can concetrate more resources into the lower crown.

Still be intresting to see what happens, i've heard fractured branches stimulates better growth due to the fracture tearing along the cells, rather than a saw which is precise and cuts through the cells. Or something like that.