Fracture Pruning Retrenchment on Fulham Oak

David Humphries

I can see the justification for this practice from an ecological point of view, considering the the aforementioned "forest sanitation". In the long run, proper forest management (i.e. leave parts of it alone!) and the creation of more "wild" spaces would be a much more efficient and positive solution.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive never done fracture pruning and never seen it done before,until now, imo its a practice that when done in the correct setting for the correct reason is a technique that def has its uses. I agree that using a mewp would theoretically be easier but im sure that was taken into consideration.

just because it hasnt got shigo cuts doesnt make it wrong.

I agree that using a mewp would theoretically be easier but im sure that was taken into consideration.

MEWPs are definately the prefered way to accomplish this method in a safer manner by negating the need to use a top handled saw one handed at reach, also gives greater ability towards artistic license, which helps dispell the pikie quips.

Our Denka 28 is away being LOLER checked and repaired at the moment, plus complete access around the canopy was not possible in this case.

Future works will be MEWP considered.

But she was a beauty to climb around in though.

hang on a mo. If the use of natural fracture pruning (NFP) has a demonstratible benefit to the ecosystem whats the problem? Is it really a issue that our work might be mistaken by laymen for cr*p pruning?

This is a technique for specific areas not the high street. If you don't like it, never mind. I work private and in local gov. and I spec it as much as possible in the right spots.

I think we have a conflict here between tradition urban arb and eco-arb/woodland arb. Different tools for different jobs.

I'd like to see a million dollar home with all the trees "trimmed" like that. It'd be right purty... NOT.

Over here best practice aims toward 'invisible' tree work. The idea being the best possible thin/reduction/lift/clean is not noticeable by joe public. Not always achievable but something to aim for IMO

Give it a couple of years and you wouldn't be able to tell. I'll take some photos of real / fake fractures and give you a test if you'd like?

C'mon we have to take arb further than shigo, otherwise we're just sticking our heads in the sand.

I don't see any hypocrisy.

I'll criticise torn collars and ripped stubs on shoddy jobs. This type of pruning when done well does not have a detrimental effect on the branch protection zone and subsequent compartmentalisation.

Anyone ever prune a lower branch off and have a builder tell them that "I could have done that"? Ever tried explaining collars/ridges, BPZ, target pruning and CODIT to that builder?

He doesn't care.

He can't see the difference between your cut that you practiced and educated yourself about and what he would do.

He can't see the subtle difference between angles.

He doesn't understand that you know that your cut is at best a professional guess at the location of the BPZ.

Give that builder a saw though and he might just do it right. Annoying but true.

Pikeypruning is the same.

I don't see any hypocrisy.

You misunderstand me Tony,I was not suggesting hypocrisy.

The point I was trying to make was the way good practise is in a state of contant change,flush cuts used to be the thing, as was painting wounds:wave: