Wholesale bulk firewood ideas

Big J

Its not a good reason on its own but it would be deductible against tax.

A

Indeed.

Unless I can shift the bags wholesale, it earns less per day than cutting fencing on the mill (which is relatively unprofitable, compared to other higher value timber).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing with firewood is that if the Euro goes to hell and back when they finally kick Greece and possibly a coupe of others out then the cost of imported crates will go through the floor. As a stove retailer I have four good suppliers that I have taken UK references up on from the Baltic chasing me for business, one exhibited at the ARB show and the stove show this year, all speak English. You have also got those with RHI kilns reducing their costs thanks to payments being received. I have this summer bought imported at £82 delivered per 1 cube stacked crate of KD Ash, this equates to about 1.5 - 1.6 cube loose and its quite superb stuff. If I order it now it will be cheaper still with the fall in the Euro this week.

A

is there actually a demand for softwood nets though, I have only 3 trade customers 1 used to take softwood because the previous supplier was selling them green logs but once people burned my hardwood their softwood sales dried up and the others have no interest in softwood.

The thing with firewood is that if the Euro goes to hell and back when they finally kick Greece and possibly a coupe of others out then the cost of imported crates will go through the floor. As a stove retailer I have four good suppliers that I have taken UK references up on from the Baltic chasing me for business, one exhibited at the ARB show and the stove show this year, all speak English. You have also got those with RHI kilns reducing their costs thanks to payments being received. I have this summer bought imported at £82 delivered per 1 cube stacked crate of KD Ash, this equates to about 1.5 - 1.6 cube loose and its quite superb stuff. If I order it now it will be cheaper still with the fall in the Euro this week.

A

You get 1.5/1.6 out of a 1m crate?

I had some and it just about filled a 1.2 cubic metre IBC level, and it was just!

We also had 2.35m crates in that we got 2.5 cubic metres loose out of MAX! People quote 2M crates give them 3 cubic metres are not selling cubic metres!!

You get 1.5/1.6 out of a 1m crate?

I had some and it just about filled a 1.2 cubic metre IBC level, and it was just!

We also had 2.35m crates in that we got 2.5 cubic metres loose out of MAX! People quote 2M crates give them 3 cubic metres are not selling cubic metres!!

I use 1 cu m bags from Bag Supplies and Bakers, level fill, bounce with teleporter, this settles and expands sides, takes about another 50 logs to top off. This is certainly 1.1 cube and 1.2 cube on the BS ones as they have one side as a fine mesh.

Balance I put into barrow bags, these are bag suplies ones and .2 cube each, get 2 bags.

Crates are actually sold as 1.17 cube, but this is the external dimension of the case AND the pallet. The wood storage area which is well packed is around .95 cu m. All the Europeans use this trick.

A

How come people dont understand volume of timbe??

I dumpy bag/buliders bag cant hold 1cm3 of logs unless it was 1mx1m sq log of wood . Its like ive just seen an advert on ebay claiming you get 2.8cm3 of. Loose logs in a 2m x1 m create, how hell they work thar out. .. 1.5cm3 max I reakon.

How come people dont understand volume of timbe??

I dumpy bag/buliders bag cant hold 1cm3 of logs unless it was 1mx1m sq log of wood . Its like ive just seen an advert on ebay claiming you get 2.8cm3 of. Loose logs in a 2m x1 m create, how hell they work thar out. .. 1.5cm3 max I reakon.

Unless your going to measure the timber put in every bag it's much easier to tell people the capacity of the bag. if you tell someone there is 1m3 of timber then there better be or your mis selling and some will report you to trading standards.

I think most of us sell based on the size of the bag and for some to then work on actual volume of timber is just going to confuse everyone it's just reverting to the confusion of trying to get people from buying tons to volume again.