Last month to process logs to sell this coming Winter ?

arboriculturist

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What MC do you take them down to skyhuck?

Very low, it won't register on the two moisture meters I've tried, they both read 0%. And that was from the centre of a newly split log.

Most people are only burning semi dry timber, (including me until recently) this is well illustrated by the way people insist on hardwood, semi dry hardwood will burn, but not semi dry softwood.

Fire wood sellers are processing from the round and sending it straight out as seasoned, it does not matter how long its been felled it can't dry in the length. It looses some moisture, but its by no means dry.

Look at the price of imported kiln dryer, there is a reason people are prepared to pay those prices.

Plus!

You push up Quilty, hopefully making the weekend cash boys at the end of the season when they are selling sh#t wood look worse!

my air dried is 13 to 16% start of the season a kiln might go lower but to no advantage as the American study said domestic stoves become inefficient below 15%mc

Polytunnel 30x90ft with 1mtr leg extensions will hold 500 0.73m3 bags

Very low, it won't register on the two moisture meters I've tried, they both read 0%. And that was from the centre of a newly split log.

Most people are only burning semi dry timber, (including me until recently) this is well illustrated by the way people insist on hardwood, semi dry hardwood will burn, but not semi dry softwood.

Fire wood sellers are processing from the round and sending it straight out as seasoned, it does not matter how long its been felled it can't dry in the length. It looses some moisture, but its by no means dry.

Look at the price of imported kiln dryer, there is a reason people are prepared to pay those prices.

I've got cord I'm cutting now that would be ready to go out in less than a month.

If it's been cut with a harvester and had bark stripped it will dry in the round stuff that's been hand cut with 100% bark remaining will not dry out. :001_smile

Might be the wrong way to think of it but if we don't take it someone else will. There is a pot of money to be used and it will go down to £0 at some point so someone else will be taking the money you could have had. Why shouldn't hard working businesses get something back? I get no help from the government/council any other way, all they try to do is screw every other last penny out of us! At least it's not going to benefit scroungers... (That's another argument for another thread ;-p )

I couldn't agree more if it's on offer take it while you can.

I looked into it and found most of the company's installing kilns to be full of it when I found a company that were spot on utilising you a kiln not just bunging an insulated container in it was going to north of 100k. A friend has one we get to dry the small amount of kd we sell.

The reason people are so keen on kiln dried is so many idiots selling wet wood as seasoned.

The price of a kiln can buy a lot of stock that can be air dried.

We love the fact that many still sell only partially dried wood.

There's not much harvester cut hardwood this way, so just accept a longer lead time and adopt perfect drying storage methods like yourself.

I haven't hear of any new kiln installations for ages.

The price of a kiln can buy a lot of stock that can be air dried.

We love the fact that many still sell only partially dried wood.

There's not much harvester cut hardwood this way, so just accept a longer lead time and adopt perfect drying storage methods like yourself.

I haven't hear of any new kiln installations for ages.

Is it viable at the currant rate.

I've got cord I'm cutting now that would be ready to go out in less than a month.

If it's been cut with a harvester and had bark stripped it will dry in the round stuff that's been hand cut with 100% bark remaining will not dry out. :001_smile

Makes you wonder why so many idiots have been cutting and stacking timber to dry, when they could have simply stripped the bark.

Also why the milling industry waste so much time sawing and stacking the green timber, when they could simple remove the bark, leave to dry and then cut dry stable boards, without the risk of warping.

I've been selling round wood for over 10 years, often its been down for years, with no bark, sure it looses some water, but I've never found it to fully season. Loads that would weigh 25t green have been around 19/20t, so still plenty of water in there.

This timber will burn (so long as its hard wood) and as most people have never burned truly dry timber they will be happy and its way better than the freshly felled some sell, just hope no one gives them a few realy dry logs and opens their eyes.