Re:hazel rods.

The Small Woods Association ( SmallWoods.org.uk - Home ) runs a promotional week every year - National Beanpole Week - to encourage the use of homegrown beanpoles. You can use rods up to 2" diameter, sold in bundles of 11 or 13 (5 or 6 pairs plus a ridge) and about 6-8ft tall. They don't have to be perfectly straight, some people like the gnarly ones. I sold a dozen bundles last spring to people on my street. The suggested price is about 50p per pole. Also look on Welcome to the Coppice Products Web Site where you can register as a supplier. The other place to sell them is on any local allotments, I had plenty of enquiries but didn't have time to cut any more

• 10 months later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody got any hazel for sale still?

I know it's out of season for coppicing but thought i'd ask in case anyone's still got some cut and sitting around.

Am looking for 120ish at 7ft long 1-1.5 inch diameter.

Am pretty far away form most of you (Highlands) but sure we can sort something out.

Have also posted a wanted over in the trading place too.

Ta.

You will find hazel now! look for hazel copice (google) the hazel should be cut in late autumn through to early spring, if left on the wood floor you can pick it up all year round.

Hurdle makers will be expensive. For bean sticks, pea sticks if you know of someone who cuts hazel they will have a brash pile and may let you gather some:thumbup:

Been a while since I bought any binders for hedgelaying so cant really help much, but I do remember a guy who made walking sticks, came up the farm once to cut sticks, think he gave me something like 40p for short shanks, 80p for long shanks and anything interesting i.e ash knob sticks were negotiable on size and quality, anyway up shot of it was I ended up £40 better off for spending an hour wandering round showing him where to look for the best ones :thumbup1:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...