Climbing in extreme cold

Sciadopitys

I have been working over in Pennsylvania, USA since September and when i arrived it was still very hot temperatures of almost 30C and very very humid. I struggled with the humidity for the first few weeks and really had to take it easy cos i was totally wet through with sweat in about 15 mins. I was going through several t-shirts a day! I thought it would never cool down! BUT THEN IT DID!!!! :bawling:This week it got seriously cold! I arrived at work monday morning and it was -11C and a bit breezy! I had thermal trousers over my normal trousers, 2 t-shirts, 3 jumpers and a large jacket and 2 pairs of gloves! It made no difference!!! I froze my ass off up a white Oak all day, i could hardly feel my hands: tying knots was almost impossible!! The freezing cold just eat through every bit of clothing i had on! I was so bulky wearing all those clothes i felt like a fat American!!! and along with the low temperatures and numb fingers i was obviously a bit slow in the tree!

What is the answer? Whats the best thermal underwear and gloves for the arborist? and any other clothing tips for these sorts of temperatures? What do guys in Sweden and Alaska wear? and how low do temperatures get before climbers go home and have a hot cup of hot chocolate?

THANK GOD IT WARMED UP A BIT TODAY!! -3C THIS MORNING FELT LIKE HEAVEN!!! :-)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hahaha... fat american...

I've worked in -17c in germany and sweden. The only thing I would consider wearing is a helly hansen thermal microfleece undersuit. Its thin enouh to not be a pain whilst climbing, but good enough for -30c. A good mountaineering shop should be able to kit you out properly, get top quality thermal socks and gloves, to keep your extremity's warm, also a fleece snood to wear under your helmet.

You know its cold when your climbing line feels like an old wire rope!

I bought a scuba undersuit for this winter and have only worn it a few times because its not been cold enough. It feels good having that next to your skin though and I bet it would work a treat if it snows here. The only limitations are going to the bog for a bizz means you have to strip, plus with all but the most stretchy undersuits it can be a bit awkward bending down into the correct lifting posture.

When its pretty cold I always wear women's tights under my chainsaw keks. Cycling skull caps can be thin enough not to be a pain under your helmet. I also like those really versatile stretchy tubes that you can wear on your neck as a scarf or your head as a balaclava/ half balaclava.

Parmo do a really good base layer shirt for about 25-30 quid.