Log splitter?

Darryl saunders

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you could deliver them to the Cornish wood burner so he could split them with his small domestic electric splitter.

I would split them with my hydraulic splitter on the back of tractor.

I was referring to people who split with an axe :001_smile:

Hi MATE IF YOU NO OF A CHAP LIKE THAT Send him round I'm very interested thanks John

It may cost a bit to fly him over from Finland!

The point about an axe v a mechanical splitter is not so much the swinging effort using the axe but I find the most tiring thing is bending down and picking up the pieces and throwing them into a pile, and that is just the same for both methods.

A knotty bit of wood takes just as much trouble to extract from a mechanical splitter so it is best to have a separate pile for those as has been suggested.

If you have a Fiskars X27 which is relatively light, and put the wood in a tyre on a block, (like matey in the video), I would challenge a mechanical log splitter of the kind first mentioned for a day's work.

If I had a really big pile i would probably hire a proper processor for a day. Then you would see some work done and it may be cheaper than buying a splitter.

One other advantage of the axe is that it keeps you warm on a cold day!

I would split them with my hydraulic splitter on the back of tractor.

I was referring to people who split with an axe :001_smile:

So was I. Must be Cornish humour.

Most of my wood is from a mature hedge and is full of knots. I have found even a 300 mm fork can be difficult with a maul which is why I bought my splitter. Not in the league of yours of course but it gets the job done. Beats using wedges or getting the saw out IMO.

An alternative view; My use is for domestic consumption only - having said that I have 3 wood burners so get through quite lot of the stuff.

I use an electric vertical splitter rated at 7.5T. I wouldn't go less. The return stroke is ploddish -but there are ways of reducing the time it takes as indicated in replies above - generally by splitting similar logs on one setting. I prefer vertical bed because (if I can lift it) I can split it. This machine looks as though it would struggle to balance anything over 10'' whereas I can nibble +24'' rings no problem.

I have never had to ditch any knotted stuff - it just takes a bit of knowhow to use the machine best, usually by busting the ring. Spongy sycamore to knotty oak.

I know electric isn't suitable for site work but I can stand next to mine all day long and listen to radio 4 (if I had the inclination). Much less to go wrong and much easier to maintain. I use a caravan extension lead (about 25m) which puts it where I need it. I had to exchange a capacitor last year because I put too many cable lengths down - £12, over the last10 years can't be bad. My theory is that if I was desperate I'd use the portable genny in the woods - but this is too far away from the kettle for safety.

I have thought about pto options but for Lille'ol domestic me the choice is elecy.