Log splitter?

Darryl saunders

I assume he's talking about a small domestic splitter!

Even so a machine does not get tired. Splitting firewood with an axe or maul is strenuous work no matter how fit you are do a couple of hours and you will not keep up with a splitter. At first you will be quicker but as time passes you will soon slow up. Plus it's hard on the body.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even so a machine does not get tired. Splitting firewood with an axe or maul is strenuous work no matter how fit you are do a couple of hours and you will not keep up with a splitter. At first you will be quicker but as time passes you will soon slow up. Plus it's hard on the body.

I have spent days axe splitting and can match a corkscrew splitter all day, technique and control help to not get tired.

Bit of a broad brushstroke that - if you are splitting straight grained timber it is not difficult for an axe to beat a splitter although there are a number of variables either way.

A good axe is a must, a tyre helps considerably and most important is having the sense to throw the tough stuff into a separate pile. We regularly chose an axe or maul over a tractor driven splitter, I've never used a domestic type splitter but have seen them used and they are not quick.

Cheers

mac

looks very low down so not great working height

who makes engine - spares etc

what is pump capacity/oil amount? - could boil the oil easily and be painfully slow etc

A friend has this unit and I must say it was neither slow or under powered. It impressed me with its ability and even my mate said "pick anything around here and it will sort it?"

I chose a butt that was around 20" diameter and it did it no problem. The levers offer two positions, first part of travel its on quick traverse/low power, 2nd part its on main power/so slower travel.

Easy starter.

Horizontal is better than vertical as both hands can be free.

Bad points;

Yes working height struck me as low especially if you were a tall chap.

The levers come loose and rattle.

Spares maybe an issue so ask Machine mart before purchase.

Bit of a broad brushstroke that - if you are splitting straight grained timber it is not difficult for an axe to beat a splitter although there are a number of variables either way.

A good axe is a must, a tyre helps considerably and most important is having the sense to throw the tough stuff into a separate pile. We regularly chose an axe or maul over a tractor driven splitter, I've never used a domestic type splitter but have seen them used and they are not quick.

Cheers

mac

Its like saying a micro digger can be beaten by a ma and shovel or a pair of sheers will be quicker than a hedge cutter. All though i put hundreds of tons through the splitter/ processor every month i still break down some with an axe and theres no way i could keep up with a splitter for anything over an hour