Disposal of woodchips

Mac McLennan

Hi

Im in Central London and looking for a single load of woodchip as deep litter for my chicken run. Is anyone working in the Islington/ Dalston area - I think one load would be great - free eggs to anyone passing who wants to offload some some wood chip!

Daragh

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi If you are ever in the London area, i am very keen to get wood chip for a chicken coop, I took one load from a guy last year and I have all but used it up, need another load for the coop this year. I'd pay for the cost for you to detour to Islington and can help unload the chip. 07713306535 please let me know if you are passing.

• 3 months later...
I can no longer dump woodchips at a small piece of ground I rented (as I apparently need a Waste Transfer Station License)

I am now paying an average of £70 per ton to get rid of them at various Waste Transfer Sites which I think is crimminal.

I have approached a local council who can do nothing as the Transfer Stations are Privately run.

What do you do with yours?

I know what the Pikies do with theirs........and I'm sorta wondering if I really blame them.

I would re check the conditions of the licence-woodchip is not waste, it is a by- product. I contacted the licencing authority and after explaining what woodchip was etc I was not required to have a licence for its conveyance. It is not commercial waste or rubbish, hope this helps some, Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

I can no longer dump woodchips at a small piece of ground I rented (as I apparently need a Waste Transfer Station License)

I am now paying an average of £70 per ton to get rid of them at various Waste Transfer Sites which I think is crimminal.

I have approached a local council who can do nothing as the Transfer Stations are Privately run.

What do you do with yours?

I know what the Pikies do with theirs........and I'm sorta wondering if I really blame them.

SORRY, I'm in a rush here but simplistically (my middle name) IF the waste is generated by YOU and it is stored on your land, or land for whihc you are responsible, i.e. you rent it, then no transfer has taken place and you do NOT need a licence.

Under the ArbAC scheme, for this activity, we require contractors to register an exemption using the form below and the EA, generally, altho there are sometimes regional variations :sneaky2:, seem happy and accept this.

Hope this helps.

Paul

T6_exemption.pdf

SORRY, I'm in a rush here but simplistically (my middle name) IF the waste is generated by YOU and it is stored on your land, or land for whihc you are responsible, i.e. you rent it, then no transfer has taken place and you do NOT need a licence.

Under the ArbAC scheme, for this activity, we require contractors to register an exemption using the form below and the EA, generally, altho there are sometimes regional variations :sneaky2:, seem happy and accept this.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Paul

I think the guy in the original post may be sorted by now:thumbup1:, it was five years ago.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

directly quoted from the EA:

virgin timber is timber from: whole trees and the woody part of trees including branches and bark derived from forestry works, woodland management, tree surgery and other similar operations (it does not include clippings or trimmings that consist primarily of foliage)

"virgin timbers are not waste and are not subject to waste regulatory controls provided thay are certain to be used for purposes to which virgin wood is commonly put."

wood chip is virgin material. not waste, no waste licenses apply unless you are only producing leaf and needle from your miniature chipper.....

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am looking for chip - decent chip for weed control.

Anyone deeding somewhere to dump in Coulsdon (between Croydon and Redhill) CR5 2HD - please call me! 07792 620051

Alternatively I have a 5x3 trailer and can come to you if you're not too far!