Dean O

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the replies guys,

yeah get the feeling its all in the sales pitch:thumbdown:

any one got any positives about yell?

I'm getting plenty of work word of mouth, but it could be better - just trying to raise our profile - the difficulty is in finding the right way?

If you've got spare money then 400-600 in yellow pages wouldn't hurt at least people could use it to find your number, but if that is how you want to get your work then its no good and yell.com is a lot worserererer.

Poeple who use yell.com have internet (obviously) so a web search would be better. But we all work locally so start with flyers and add yell if you have spare money but don't rely on it. IMO only and I am biased against yell!

To date, Yellow pages has produced 4 jobs for a £800-900 advert, just covering the cost (ish) for the advert itself but then a loss with fuel,wages etc!!!

Yell.com, nothing at all!!!!!

Its a very good sales pitch but as others have said people use google, spend £400 on your web site and get it SEO friendly or set an adwords budget etc!!!

Waste the yell.com reps time but dont waste yours!!!!

2k would buy you an awful lot of adverts on google and would get a far higher click through ratio.

I get spme good calls from yell.com and the pages. yes its expensive and in these times ist sometimes hard to swallow those costs but it works for me, as for google, i got no calls and it cost me a fortune, total crap for me. when you go on google on price per click other companys find out how much your max per day is and click your link till you dissapear for the day off the listings:sneaky2: small add in yellow pages and local advertising and a written van is best IMO.

i was looking at an advert in my local yellow pages so the lady came round spouted on about how many times the book is used to find tree work per day ??? how do they know that ??? then she proceded to tell me that the advertising i currently had was of poor quality and my busines cards did not sell my company well ??WTF?? in the end with all the art work (if you can call it that) the advert and a monitored phone number i was going to hand her over £1200 !!!! not likely . i was speaking to dangerous brian and he took out an add with them and in 2 months and£700 later he has had one crap job come from it .

As for Yel.com i had the whole irish pixi call me tyr to sell me some web advertising for another daft ammount of money and asked could i handly all the work that i will be geting from them ???? but when i asked for proof to his aclimed figures he was not too forthcoming !! so he was told where to go ! but still for about 3 weeks he felt he should keep calling me trying to prove that i was wrong and i needed his help !!!!

oh and as for the thompson lacall i really would not waste your time with them !! i have advertised with them for 2 years now and it really has not been worth it what so ever . especially when they printed my advert this year with the wrong phone number on it and added crap images to the advert that i told them i did not want - there excuse was well im really sorry mr Mathews but we did send out a proof to you and we are sorry you didnt get it but that is not our fault its yours !!!!

all in all a think the best advertising is like others on here have said and thats to signwright your trusk really well , get your work clothes printed and use local papers etc failing that 2K would buy you your own advertising board/trailer !!!!!

I have been running my generator business 16 years only ever use one advertising medium at a time and then leave a 6 month gap. have spent probably 16 k in that time result nothing. Have had the excuses need to do at least three, the colours were wrong, we can improve the artwork etc. My log business I use a free delivered paper cost £30 a month business card size. Also good value parish council mags especially in posh villages about £30 a year for several issues. School notice boards Free. Local newsagent windows For local work I would agree with what everybody said above.