Husqy 350 18" replacement advise

yebaws

Thanks for all of the replies. Plenty for me to think about.

I have been using a 1:50 mix and Husqy oil. Air leak is a possibility, but I have also changed the carb at some point along the way which I would have thought would have fixed that (unless the new one failed also and the carb is the weak link). Usually fairly careful with my oil mixes, filling a 5l can with unleaded measured at the garage pump and then measuring out the oil carefully in a measuring jug. Actually, when I mixed The last batch the can felt a little lighter when I picked it up to add the oil. Maybe I had already taken some fuel out of that one? But that would mean making a thicker mix which would presumably just increase smoke and decrease performance rather than causing overheating?

So far I'm liking the sound of the 365 xt. Yes, I think my saw may have been under powered for the bar length.

Interested that the consensus seems to be Husky 'though. No Sthil fans out there?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Air leek could have been these possibilities ...Crank seals , split fuel line , split impuls pipe ,base gasket , and maybe ssome others I can't think of now . Just a suggestion...put oil in the can first then pump in the fuel it mixes bstter as the fuel splashes in under pressure . 50 : 1 is right for modern saws . 365 is the way to go it seems ! Had an older 365 special in the past but not the newer Xtorque . Have heard the xtorque is best started without using the de comp butten .

Our 365 is good IF we can start it. Much prefer my 450 though, might not last as long or cut quite as quick as the 365 but its lighter, nicer to handle, better on fuel, starts easily every time (unlike the 365)and runs like a dream even with an 18 inch bar.

Try starting the 365 without using the de comp butten . I have heard this is the problem as they are already a relatively low comp engine and depressing it drops it too low to spark ....

The 365 xt will start ok with the decomp button depressed, but you have to be really careful to hear it fire. Any more than 4 pulls on choke and it'll flood and be a bugger to get going. If you get to 4 pills and haven't heard it fire, just knock the choke off and a couple more pulls will get it going. I love my 365xt. The 550xp is great too. Nice and lightweight and revs well. The 365 just seems to have loads of grunt, and now I've ground off the transfer cover fins, it pulls like a train! As said previously - oil in the can first, then the petrol, and a good shake before each fuel up.

Air leek could have been these possibilities ...Crank seals , split fuel line , split impuls pipe ,base gasket , and maybe ssome others I can't think of now . Just a suggestion...put oil in the can first then pump in the fuel it mixes bstter as the fuel splashes in under pressure . 50 : 1 is right for modern saws . 365 is the way to go it seems ! Had an older 365 special in the past but not the newer Xtorque . Have heard the xtorque is best started without using the de comp butten .

I suppose we should add carb setting to the possibilities.

Agree with no decomp to start a 365. Ours goes from I'm tired, let the lads have a go to impossible let's run over it.

Joking aside I think there must be a problem with ours, always been a bitch to start from new. We just need to find a good local dealer that will have a look under warranty. Always the down side of buying over the internet.

Using the decomp button on any standard saw means you are a nancy!:biggrin:

Apart from*that, I've never used the decomp on my 365 (or any other saw) and it always starts on third or fourth pull when cold, first when warm.

Do you do a neck roll after or before it starts ? :biggrin:

Using the decomp button on any standard saw means you are a nancy!:biggrin:

Apart from*that, I've never used the decomp on my 365 (or any other saw) and it always starts on third or fourth pull when cold, first when warm.

Yes, but dosn't it bugger up the dogs on a 550 if you don't?

N