Refuelling large excavator?

spandit

I think we're talking about the same point. In the same way that I wouldn't hire a tree surgeon to cross cut some logs, I feel I can do the big digging myself, learning all the way. For the fiddly, precision stuff, I can get an experienced operator in - there is a professional landscaper next door. You seem to assume I have no respect for anyone and yet you judge my abilities without having seen me operate machinery.

As you say, it's my money, which isn't unlimited, and doing a load myself of the less challenging work, will save a fair bit which means I can spend more on the details

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the point Eddie is trying to get across is that even doing the bulk digging an inexperienced operator will be lucky to achieve 60% of what an experienced one can.

I have worked with several different drivers and machines over the years and I have found that although it helps, experience does not guarantee a good driver. Good operators stand out by how they approach a job, operate the machine to achieve economy of movement and finally accuracy of finish.

Watching and working with good experienced operators have shown me that there is a lot more to digger driving than pulling the levers.

Eddies right, I've put in my fair share of seat time in various excavators and t really gets my goat when someone says " I can 'drive' the digger" then proceeds to murder some poor bit of land very clumsily. If you've no experience at all at professional excavation you'll waste a lot of time and achieve a poor finish as, or have to re grade the lot when done, a good operator will see the level and grade as he digs to the finished level. And managing vast amounts of spoil effectively levels and so on. However if you don't care about cost and just want to play in a big machine fair enough, but don't kid yourself that it's simple, anyone can do it, but doing it well and efficiently is different.

I'd also say go as big as you can within reason with the machine as bulk digging lakes is boring.

What better place to learn than your own land though! If it isn't perfect then he's got the time to fox it, If he's struggling he can call on his friend next door to help. Sounds like the perfect set up to learn to use a machine to me.

Fair points all but I'll never get any better without experience. I will be hiring out a small digger sooner to dig some ditches and I'll be practicing some grading with that too.

I'm not expecting to be perfect straight off the bat but as I've said before, I have a professional who will be around to help/guide. Would rather achieve something myself rather than just buying it in

What better place to learn than your own land though! If it isn't perfect then he's got the time to fox it, If he's struggling he can call on his friend next door to help. Sounds like the perfect set up to learn to use a machine to me.

Thank you! Think we were posting at the same time...

Fair points all but I'll never get any better without experience. I will be hiring out a small digger sooner to dig some ditches and I'll be practicing some grading with that too.

I'm not expecting to be perfect straight off the bat but as I've said before, I have a professional who will be around to help/guide. Would rather achieve something myself rather than just buying it in

I really wasn't knocking it was just the Degree jibe that got me, and this type of written Forum can be bad for things getting misinterpreted.

I'm all for you getting on and learning especially with someone to guide you, and I'm a firm believer you only learn in the seat.

Greg and myself discussed this today, and he works with me nearly every day, so is well used to being around machines, plus is occasionally called upon where required for dumper loading etc.

He's fully trained on a machine, and pretty handy on a Mini Digger, plus he can be trusted to load/unload my own machine if required.

However he admitted the gulf between the smaller kit and large is absolutely daunting even to him.

He's been on the 25 tonne Long Reach's etc when I've hired them in, and literally bailed out!

I was merely suggesting that it may be cost effective to get someone in on a price for the bulk dig and utilise a Mini for the fancy stuff that will follow after, and it may be a decent saving in the longer term?

Just one point, be very clear with whoever you hire from just who is insuring the machine?

Short Term Hired Plant Insurance can be had online from JCB Insurance who are excellent, and well worth the peace of mind if the insuring falls to you as it should.

Eddie.

I do know that getting a machine over the seven ton mark will not be so easy. Unless you know someone really well and they trust you with their £30k+ tool. The majority of hire companies won't let you near even their oldest banger! You may well be better advised to hire in a decent sized machine (as said earlier) with its operator and ask nicely for 'a little go'. You will also have to have current machine insurance for the site.

I certainly wouldn't hire out my machine to just some geezer no matter how many £'s they would like to flash!

codlasher

Our local supplier will do a 500litre delivery and told us the tank does not have to be bunded if it's portable. On the oil company's suggestion I just picked up an IBC that was in good nick and it has proved an excellent fuel tank. From the maths you posted at the start 500 litres should fit the bill.

anyone can drive a digger-that dont make them a digger driver and there is big difference

someone that can drive a digger is handy sitting on a stockpile loading dumpers a digger driver will see a large pile of muck and landscape it with no extra or needing more

I am in charge of both types at the moment the digger drivers you tell them what you want in the morning then never need to go near them all day ones that can drive a digger you have to tell them nearly every bucketful what you want, aye even on a simple stockpile sometimes