How should I rough cut lumps for making bowls?

Woodworks

In amongst the wood we have bought in for firewood processing there is some large-ish cherry (14"). Not quite sure how to rough out some bits to be dried. I have loped out a few bits as in the picture but is there a better way? Also how is best to slowly dry a piece like this. I have heard of putting it in a big bag with wood chip but again no idea if this is a good idea.

What do you recon chaps :thumbup1:

DSC03736.jpg.6e8ced2824e0d732cc78143fca71fca8.jpg

All my bowls start off like that piece , I then trim as much to shape with a chainsaw , a sort of roundish dome , then attach a faceplate to the flat side then turn the exterior of the bowl , leaving a chucking point ( dovetail ) then turn the interior of the bowl leaving overthick , to allow for ovalisation during drying , after rough turning I coat with PVA glue ( unibond ) then put aside to dry slowly , apiece this size would take a good while , also this is not the best time of the year for doing this ... Terry ...

Cherry of that dimension will almost certainly split as it dries , ( years ) if it does dry without splitting then it will be a pretty tough lump of wood to turn compared to doing most of the work when green .. Terry ..

O well maybe it it will just get used for it's original purpose. Don't tell Steve :biggrin:

Split it through the heart wood (as you've done). Paint the end grain with PVA and stack it with good air flow in the shade with no sun. It will dry over a couple of years and turn lovely. I've been turning some sweet chestnut of similar size and its great.

One alternative is to put PVA on the end and let it dry untill he is ready and then turn it when its still a bit green. Turn it rough (to say 1cm thick) and then put back in the bag (or box is better) of shavings and it dry completely and then turn it round again. I do that sometimes and it works ok. Cherry does seem to like to split though

I agree with turning from start to finish as wet or green wood, take the time to look at you tube with Lyle JAMIESON his techniques with turning on glue blocks instead of a chuck and his method of starting between centres is a sure fire winner. No wood to store, finished bowls sraiight away, no splitting. I have turned huge pieces with this method and no problems. I have never had a glue block fail, although I was sceptical at first. Minimal preparation of the blanks from log to bowl in short time. Easy and fun, no more white knuckle turning. It is deceptively simple and really works.

Stuart