Problems and the Forestry Commission

I received a visit/raid from the Forestry Commission last week. They happened to be passing and took exception to my coppicing operations that were visible from the main road. They came in and accused me of illegal felling as there was no current felling license for my site.

I protested that I was coppicing Hazel and Ash and that I was within the allowed exemptions. They relented somewhat at this point and after a look around decided that I although wasn't felling illegally at the moment, I should have obtained a felling license for a block of Ash that I had felled 3 years ago to start a coppice cycle. It seems that what I look upon as the initial cut in a coppice cycle for Ash, the FC regard as felling for timber. It seems that I have not been bureaucratic enough and must fill in some forms..Therefore I need to err on the safe side from now on and get a license for the future.

Anyway, after the shaky start they were being exceedingly friendly and helpful when they suggested that a check for Ash Dieback disease (ADB) might be useful. Unfortunately it appears highly likely that I do have ADB on the site; although I have to wait for 10 days for the test results to be sure. Looking at the samples I would not have recognised the lesions from the examples on the FC website; so it was lucky in the end that they decided to visit me.

Because I have been coppicing, my wood has an open, airy structure that could well inhibit the Chalara fungus that causes the disease: Chalara prefers damp airless conditions. I have had quite a few problems trying to coppice Ash that I am not entirely dismayed at the prospect of having to fell them and start again. I am already thinking of what to plant in their place and they aren't even dead yet.

The rules are pretty clear:

Felling licences exemptions (England)

Presumably that block of ash you cut was bigger than 15cm DBH?

They're fairly clear but seem to be open to interpretation. But then volume estimates can vary wildly depending on how you measure so many people can get round the rules.

What annoys me is I've been 'on the safe side' and submitted a felling licence application with a management plan. It's been approved verbally after a site visit but after months of chasing I still haven't been given the licence. In future I'll try and avoid applying for one if I can.

If the FC want people to put in applications then they should be a bit better at processing them.

The fact that the FC who, over the last 5 decades or so, have proven themselves to be criminally incompetent with regard to managing the nation's forest estate get to judge what others do with their woods is one of life's ironies.

That said the individuals I've dealt with so far up here have been very helpful with FLA's I've submitted. When you submit an fla you should get acknowledgment email few days later which contains following info:

"We will publish details of your application to fell trees (except for thinning only applications) on our Public Register for a period of four weeks. We will also consult with other relevant organisations during this period.

Under the provisions of the Forestry Act 1967 we must make a decision about your application within 3 months, although we may seek your agreement to extend this timescale if processing takes longer than expected (e.g. due to issues that may be raised during the consultation period)."

Have you been given a reason why your fla hasn't been processed? And I agree they won't have been just passing, someone's reported you

Have you been given a reason why your fla hasn't been processed? And I agree they won't have been just passing, someone's reported you

Nope, they've had it along with the management plan for about 6 months. Luckily the plan has been approved and I've been paid but I've no idea why the FLA hasn't been processed other than they're too busy doing other stuff. I've chased but unless I create a fuss I doubt it'll get setup. As I will have to deal with the same woodland officer over the years I'll wait a bit longer before complaining.