Planer Moulder advice / ideas

stevenf

Hi,

Thinking about buying a planer moulder to add value to my sawn products

Will buy old, but decent second hand machine

Was wondering if anyone had heard of any training / courses that I could attend to get Competent with moulding ???

Maybe a bit of a long shot

Have had a good Google...

no schools to train anyone in woodwork anymore, I sugest you try and find a carpenters shop, or furniture repairer and ask if anyone could help you out, you might even be lucky and find an old school window frame maker.....and no the bad news, I just picked up a Sedgwick GW3 spindle moulder today, cost me a whole £200, ok needs a little tidying up, but what a bargain

There is a Wood Machining NVQ, that quite a lot of colleges do- but it generally relies on teaching people who have a job as a minion in a supervised workshop. If it's just you on your tod, it's a bit more difficult.

There are quite a lot of trainers out there who will adapt a short course or a day to the needs of your workshop-

Google throws up these ones:

Wood Working Machinery - Training Courses - Skills Training Centre, UK

Woodwise - Woodworking machine training, assessment, and certification - City and Guilds Approved

Wood Machining Training Course

We don't know where you're based, but getting in touch with your local college or larger joinery firms might point you in the direction for local trainers and a bit of certification.

The basics of legality and cutter setups can be found in textbooks like-

Wood Machine Guide, Wright, David, Bloor, Terry, Very Good, Paperback 0748793852 | eBay

And grab a download of the HSE info sheet:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/wis40.pdf

hi, thanks for reply.

i am based near cambridge.

but flexible for the right course to bring me up to speed.

i have emailed above & waiting their reply.

also, had a positive from daltonsWadkin so they could do something - two day course with some paperwork...

thanks for advice

went om the axminster 1 day course in sittingboune on tuesday. It was good. I feel i learnt enough to jump in and learn the rest through experience. made a panel door and messed around with different cutters and how to set up machine, safety etc.

Good stuff!