Brushcutter/trimmer - Stihl vs Tanaka vs Kawasaki

aesmith

GardenKit, is that all top of the range mitox kit that uses kawasaki parts or just s trimmers?

Just had a look on their website and they seem to do a "premium" range of chainsaws, any ideas what these are like to use professionally?

The Mitox Pro range is the rebranded Kawasaki product range of brushcutters and hedge trimmers.

Rochfords, who own the Mitox brand, came to an agreement with Kawasaki when they ceased production of powered products a couple of years ago.

They bought all remaining stock so that Kawasaki could have clean exit. They also acquired the rights to buy the engines from Kawasaki, as well as all the running gear that Kawasaki had been using, from the original suppliers so that they could effectively assemble the same machines, but under their own brand.

There are still some Kawasaki branded machines in the system, but when they are gone they will all be available as Mitox Pro.

The Mitox Premium range is the better of their chinese machines and to be honest is not too bad, but it was never intended for Pro use.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to post. We're looking to replace our trimmer, currently a MacCulloch curved shaft model which is probably around 15 years old and basically trouble. That's 32cc, and is around the right power for what we do, and we only need a string head not a blade. I want a straight shaft though, that flexible drive fails too often.

I was all set to go for a Stihl FS56R, this was partly recommendation from a friend but also because I've been impressed by the backup and parts availability for our Stihl chainsaw which is over 12 years old.

However our local Stihl dealer is steering us to either go cheaper with Tanaka, or up in price with Kawasaki. In fact almost a rave review on the Kawasaki 27cc model.

Just wondered about general experience and opinions of these two brands. We want something that will last for years of relatively light use, not something that will become unfixable because either parts or support become unavailable.

Thanks, Tony S

Instead of the fs56, go for the fs55. Less bulky and just as powerful......

The Mitox Pro range is the rebranded Kawasaki product range of brushcutters and hedge trimmers.

Thanks for the insight, I'm glad I posted the question. I was pretty much set on the Kawasaki, but this puts a different complexion. The dealer in question doesn't deal with Mitox, so I need to find out about ongoing support. Rave review or not, this might be job lot of Kawasaki he bought at a closing out sale. (As he did with Solo chainsaws for example). I don't think he'd be promoting a bad machine.

The whole reason for replacing the MacCulloch is lack of spares/support since MacCulloch dropped out of manufacturing and became just a badge. The Kawasaki/Mitox thing isn't the same, but there's a similarity. Who knows whether in two years time the Mitox Pro range might be a completely different made in China product once they're run out of Kawasaki engines.

I coming round to thinking Stihl again.

Tony S

Buy a Honda 4 stroke will last you years.

I also have a Honda. Another advantage is the quiet, smooth engine. It's less whizz than a 2 stroke, but still cuts as well with some real torque.

It's hard for a tree man to go past Stihl, though. At least you don't have to go to another shop for parts. In this case though, if the dealer was pushing you in a different direction I guess he supports those, too.

It's hard for a tree man to go past Stihl, though. At least you don't have to go to another shop for parts. In this case though, if the dealer was pushing you in a different direction I guess he supports those, too.

I was in the dealer this morning, but "the man himself" wasn't in. He carries the bigger Stihls, and the smallest bent shaft ones. In fact pretty much all except the FS56 (even had the FS55). However there were a lot of Kawasaki, so if he doesn't continue to deal with them as Mitox Pro then there's quite a hole in his line up. Also noticed one machine labelled as Kawasaki but with Mitox stickers on the shaft. I'll see what he says when I speak to him.

Thanks for the insight, I'm glad I posted the question. I was pretty much set on the Kawasaki, but this puts a different complexion. The dealer in question doesn't deal with Mitox, so I need to find out about ongoing support. Rave review or not, this might be job lot of Kawasaki he bought at a closing out sale. (As he did with Solo chainsaws for example). I don't think he'd be promoting a bad machine.

The whole reason for replacing the MacCulloch is lack of spares/support since MacCulloch dropped out of manufacturing and became just a badge. The Kawasaki/Mitox thing isn't the same, but there's a similarity. Who knows whether in two years time the Mitox Pro range might be a completely different made in China product once they're run out of Kawasaki engines.

I coming round to thinking Stihl again.

Tony S

They wont run out of Kawasaki engines, as Kawasaki still produce them big time (although they are all made in China now).

Its just that Kawasaki stopped producing complete machines, and it was too good a thing to lose, so Rochfords took it on. Rochfords also offer a excellent parts service to their dealers, so no problem there.

Although Kawasaki is good, and I sold it for a while, I still prefer the Tanaka and have sold many thousands over the last 25 years with virtually no problems. Spares backup from the importer is second to none and spares prices are extremely reasonable.

Tanaka have solid shafts and greaseable heads, unlike the Stihl. The gearboxes are bulletproof too, and the starting is incredibly easy. The plastics rarely break and the line guards are the toughest I have ever seen.

Also noticed one machine labelled as Kawasaki but with Mitox stickers on the shaft. I'll see what he says when I speak to him.

There are also Mitox machines with Kawasaki engines, yet using the standard Mitox Chinese running gear. These must not be confused with the Mitox Pro machines.

Got a Tanaka and the biggest Kawasaki brushcutter they made- Kawasaki beats Tanaka hands down in almost every aspect. Tanaka- poor starting from new, weak material-very easy to strip threads etc, it also has a hedgetrimmer attachment and this doesn't leave as clean cut as my Kawasaki hedge trimmer.

Kawasaki brushcutter- excellent starter and very reliable (5years and never had a tool to it apart from a grease gun) only slight downside is the vibes are a little higher than id like.