New way to tie the Apline Butterlfy Knot?

knot rigger

Circus bowline is awesome it acts like an alpine but undoes very easily without biting down after heavy load, the hand wrap method Tom posted is the only way I know of tying this knot. The name of the knot comes from a three ring circus as you make three "rings" when tying it. I learned it at a Vermeer training seminar.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alpine butterfly is not supposed to move under load. Perhaps you mean it is difficult to untie after loading? Its supposed to be one of the easier knots to untie!

Yep. That is what I meant! I don't know about it being one of the easier to untie though!

Circus bowline is awesome it acts like an alpine but undoes very easily without biting down after heavy load, the hand wrap method Tom posted is the only way I know of tying this knot. The name of the knot comes from a three ring circus as you make three "rings" when tying it. I learned it at a Vermeer training seminar.

Nifty knot! After a couple of minutes' practice I can now tie it in 5 seconds with my eyes shut. It aint no bowline though, try using it to tie a line to the bow of a boat, it can't be done. Circus midline yes, circus bowline no. Like the bowline is,weaker than say a figure of 8 on the bight, the circus 'midline' is weaker than the similar alpine butterfly. And it's not 3 directional like the butterfly. Definitely easier to open, though. The ugly bastard child of the bowline and the butterfly.