Shorted on day-rate

Mark Bolam

Went to pick up cash owed from a crappy day rate job cutting a hideous thorn hedge. 3 days of hell. Bloke refused to pay full amount (which was a reduced day rate anyway) for following reasons:

-We were late every day. We were on site for 830, he reckoned I'd said 730. This was a blatant lie. We never arrive on site at 730 without reason.

-We were talking to each other

-We stopped for 2 10min tea breaks and 1/2 hour lunch every day

-My dog was with us

-We dived into the truck for 10mins when it lashed down, although we pretty much got piss-soaked through every day.

-Electricians don't charge what I did ! (I did point out most sparks don't pack £35k worth of kit in their tool bag).

-We basically didn't work hard enough.

He and his son had done 10% of the hedge in 2 days. We did 90% in 3 days, on my own on one of them. Who wasn't working hard enough, then?

He then said he used to be a time and motion study engineer, and produced 4 pages of notes with things like -

Weds 14.16 hrs - Mark stood with hands on hips for nearly 30 seconds, just staring at hedge. I s**t you not!

I had to leave before I lost it and chinned the prick.:mad1:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dont give in to this guy mark, lawyers letter, its up to him to prove you wrong. dont let rage get in the way, it doesnt matter if you gave a discounted price compared to usual,or if the hedge was jaggy or if the guy is a total donkey. i had this happen to me once, he paid the next day after the letter went through his letter box but did send a 10 page rant about me being terrible, who cares i got my money, he is a chancer, if you let this go it will eat you up. everytime something niggles you, you will remember this guy and go nuts, it will lead to resentment and stress. oh and he pays for the letter aswell

That guy sounds like a totall c**k , i had a customer tried that with me about 18 months -2 years ago , he was trying the whole you turned up late -8.30 , you had more than just a lunch break etc etc , he tried to justify not paying the 850 bill but insted he was going to pay me 600 . i simply explained that if he wished to do that it was fine but it did not cover the cost of taking away the wood chip and timber there fore i will be bringing it all back and tipping it in either his front garden or his drive !!! would you believe he decided he wanted to pay the full ammount !!!

Jesus christ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im not sure if i could of kept my cool, good shout on leaving mate, you'll never win with dickheads like that pal, cut your losses and run was the best option, what a prize bell end!!!!

dont give in to this guy mark, lawyers letter, its up to him to prove you wrong. dont let rage get in the way, it doesnt matter if you gave a discounted price compared to usual,or if the hedge was jaggy or if the guy is a total donkey. i had this happen to me once, he paid the next day after the letter went through his letter box but did send a 10 page rant about me being terrible, who cares i got my money, he is a chancer, if you let this go it will eat you up. everytime something niggles you, you will remember this guy and go nuts, it will lead to resentment and stress. oh and he pays for the letter aswell

On second thought, scratch my post, im with stevie, make the ****** pay what he owes!!!

I had this done to me, but i turned up to a job (where id worked before) to prune 3 40ft Pops, the guy wanted 2 70ft Conifers felled as well as an extra and said to bill him whatever it cost...we did and he was happy and paid.....we were then called in 3 months later to put in a path, and patio....when we started he asked for a small wall to be built, steps to be put in and an extension to the path (all as an extra to our quote) we did all this, thinking that he was genuine and when finished he said, holding our Invoice "It looks really great......but im not paying it" I asked why and he said "because I dont have to...nothing is in writing" "take me to court if u want" he gave me a cheque for the original price. I handed it back and said i was goin to get the sledge hammer to take up the extra paving and wall we'd done..."I'll call the Police for tresspassing and criminal damage"....In the end he did pay a little more than the original but we still lost out....Its really not fair how people can be pleased with the work ask for extras and then not pay!!:thumbdown:

Thanks guys.

CTS - I've tried that one before, with great success, but he knows I've torched all the chips at my yard 'cos they were shite.

Stevie - nothing in writing, he gave me the best pals act when he asked me to do the job, pop in whenever you like mate etc. so I never bothered.

By the way, he never complained once while we were on site! He has admitted he is well pleased with the hedge, just not our work ethic. We actually worked harder than usual!

I have had a cold shower now, and a couple of Magners with ice.

I'm off to sit cross-legged in a darkened room for a bit, chanting Wooosaaa....

he lured you in the first time, everything in writing. i have been stung so many times, it made me a very stressed angry person and my family and health suffered. even if it isnt in writing, it doesnt matter. a lawyer will get you your money, they have to prove YOU wrong. even if you have let this go this time mark, go and see a lawyer and get something in place so if it does happen again you are ready for it, these folk are usually cowards and play on our good nature, its something they learn as a kid, it isnt in their nature to be nice, watch their face change when you ask for their postcode for the lawyer, smile and say have a nice day.. look at the back of comet or currys receipt,you wouldnt believe what you have signed, they are covering themselves..we can do the same. i did work for a lawyer years ago that helped me out on a few occasions and never charged me as he knew how hard working and honest i was,these type of folk are like a badly behaved kid, loads of noise and stubborness, but stand about long enough and up to them then they will crumble..tipping stuff in driveways, just breaks the law and makes you look bad, and you wont sleep with worry..but i have been so close to doing it before. it isnt your problem any more mark, lawyers are quiet just now, they dont see anything personal, business is business, whatever he owes you they will get plus the cost of the letter. go and get on with another job and put it out your mind mate

Edited by Stephen Blair