Help needed cutting large limb!

Djvicke1

Thanks for the replies,

I'm going to look at it in the next couple of days as the job will be next week so will update you with the specifics when I know.

I've got cs39 (basically a trainee climber) My climbings ok but a bit slow and I can branch walk and have done large-ish limbs in the past by dropping it in bits but I suggested that and he shook his head and said to do it in one (he's not a tree surgeon).

He wants me to take just this limb off and then put a winch in the tree to fell it.

If after looking at it I'm still doubtful I might just ask my mate who's more experienced to do it, although I hate having to say I can't do it :laugh1:

lol do it how you want to do it there's a lot of killing power in a limb that big

learn this quick do things YOU feel safe doing them ( unless your being taught) i have had many a prat tell me how i should fell /prune there tree and 99% of the time there suggestions are lethal one guy told me once on a dismantle that i was doing it wrong by taking all the side branches off first and should of started cutting the top off first lmao

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely small bits at a time mate.

Being inexperienced you will be yet to realise the forces involved when removing large limbs.

My advice would be to get an anchor point as high as you can to give most movement not onto the limb and take you time practicing various cuts and letting the wood free fall to the ground without risk of damaging anything, including yourself.

Take your time.

Make sure there is another climber there just in case.

I would not recommend you try and cut a three foot diameter limb off in one.

Good luck

Plenty of other people with advice and tips on here. As an inexperienced climber, treat it as a challenge, get a nice high anchor point, get out to the end of it, imagine obstacles underneath to avoid, practice different cuts and techniques, and don't F up the final cut!

he shook his head and said to do it in one did he give a reason why it needs to be done in one?

He wants me to take just this limb off and then put a winch in the tree to fell it. is he felling it or you? if you are then you tell him how it's to be done.

If after looking at it I'm still doubtful I might just ask my mate who's more experienced to do it, although I hate having to say I can't do it :laugh1: nothing wrong with that fella

He's asking you for your professional help, then telling you how it has to be done.....

Never let a customer tell you how to do your job. They can give you objectives - but not how to achieve them. If it goes wrong then it's a liability nightmare. You are setting a dangerous precedent with this client. If you aren't happy with it walk away. In any event the job sounds like it needs rigging - I take it you don't have your CS41? Something that size you need to understand your vectors, moments and dynamic loading - even if you are on the ground backing up a CS41 guy in a tree - the bollard is where a lot of things can go wrong.

I'm not a hugely experienced climber, but I don't think I'd be taking a limb of that size off in one go, regardless of what's underneath it, or not. I'd defo be branch walking, perhaps set up a redirect above if possible, and take it down in small chunks. And if it takes a bit longer then so be it. A large limb like that could fall awkwardly, damage the tree on the way down, snag on a rope. There's no end to issues it could cause. May be me being a little cautious, and some of the more experienced guys may be happy to do it in one, but small chunks, nice and steady would be the way to go in my book.

I'm going to look at it with him tomorrow so will try get some pictures and I will know the specifics then. I will tell him I'd rather take it off in lengths. I'm just hoping I'll be able to find a good work position for the heavy stuff..

Be VERY careful - there is a seriously injured climber recovering at the moment who was removing a large beech limb recently. I'm not personally aware of the exact circumstances but what is clear from the pictures I have seen is that the limb tore out (I would imagine unexpectedly) and somehow dragged him and his 2 anchor points out of the tree.

You have admitted to this being a bit out of your comfort zone. It is important to challenge yourself as this is how you will improve. However, I would definitely take someone experienced with you to offer advice - forget what the client says.

When you are nervous/under pressure it is all too easy to end up biting off a bit more than you can chew - not the end of the world if the repercussions are broken roof tiles/damaged fence etc. However, if you find yourself half way through felling a 3 foot beech stem (effectively a medium trees CS32 fell, but hanging off a rope...) and you aren't confident with what you are doing/have poor work positioning/use the wrong cuts etc etc things can go wrong very quickly, with enormous forces involved. Will it barbers chair and spread you up the main stem like jam? Will it tear out and crush your pelvis and spine because you stropped on to the wrong bit? Will the tips land first and spring the timber back at you, catapulting you into next week?

If you are going to do the job under your own direction, do as others have suggested and take it off in small bits. You will learn more that way as you will have to climb higher/further out than you might be confident with. You will also still have to deal with cutting big bits of timber from a rope and harness, but the risk of massive forces being released unexpectedly will be diminished if you take the weight/leverage away bit by bit.

Enjoy the job, but be careful and stay safe!