Push bikes on road do they go in middle of road or not thanks

mendiplogs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On this subject... Councils have spent thousands of pounds on cycle paths to make cycling safer for everyone but still cyclists use main roads to cycle on and the cycle paths are right next to them. Really don't understand it? Why there not used? Not against cycling I used to race mountain bikes when I was younger and trained on roads and did not have cycle paths then if they did I would have used them.

i believe the reason some cyclists dont use dedicated cycle lanes is because of the stop/start/give way nature of cycle lanes.

On this subject... Councils have spent thousands of pounds on cycle paths to make cycling safer for everyone but still cyclists use main roads to cycle on and the cycle paths are right next to them. Really don't understand it? Why there not used? Not against cycling I used to race mountain bikes when I was younger and trained on roads and did not have cycle paths then if they did I would have used them.

The locals endured 6 months of traffic lights on a main road while a cycle path was being built. Could someone tell me why the 'professional ' cyclists will, not use it. None have been run over yet but its a fast bit of road and their manners do not encourage giving them a wide berth

I ride every day on the road and have done for many years, and you have to ride defensively to survive. Always stay a good distance out from the near side for two reasons. Firstly, I can avoid the potholes and crap near to the verge. Secondly, it forces inconsiderate drivers to wait for a safe gap to pass me. So often, I've nearly been taken off as the driver overtaking me hasnt waited for the oncoming vehicles to pass, and it's been pretty tight on times. The majority of road users are very courteous and wait for a gap, but the odd one who can't be bothered to wait gets the finger and a mouthful I'm afraid.

I ride every day on the road and have done for many years, and you have to ride defensively to survive. Always stay a good distance out from the near side for two reasons. Firstly, I can avoid the potholes and crap near to the verge. Secondly, it forces inconsiderate drivers to wait for a safe gap to pass me. So often, I've nearly been taken off as the driver overtaking me hasnt waited for the oncoming vehicles to pass, and it's been pretty tight on times. The majority of road users are very courteous and wait for a gap, but the odd one who can't be bothered to wait gets the finger and a mouthful I'm afraid.

Hi BOB but this chap just holding back the traffic Bob thanks Jon

So would you use a cycle path if one was there? If not why not ?

Hi BOB but this chap just holding back the traffic Bob thanks Jon

Inconsiderate b......s met two of them last thursday at end of 600 mile drive. single track road riding down middle for a couple of miles never considered pulling over AND they dont pay road tax or mave insurance.Dont get me started

If he's deliberately making it awkward for a vehicle to pass, then that's a bit naughty and shouldn't be doing that, and deserves a telling off. I ride about 1 metre from the near side in general which I find is enough to present myself and make other road users aware of my presence, rather than hogging the entire lane and annoying drivers. Unfortunately, some cyclists are poor, as are some car drivers. As far as cycle paths go - if there was one on my route than I'd use it, and I'd be a fool not too. But all too often, they're full up with pedestrians, and don't go on for very far around here. In fact, one of our cycle paths nearby is only 5 yards long, as the local council had to install a certain length of cycle path and this section is what made it meet that requirement!!