London Red Route

Nick Connell

Hi chaps, I've got a Job to do in Eltham, London. ( out of our usual AO) It means parking the chipper at the side of the road / on the pavement. The road is wide enough not to disrupt the traffic. Do you need permission from the council to stop on red lines all times or just normal working hours?

Thanks

Nick

Hi chaps, I've got a Job to do in Eltham, London. ( out of our usual AO) It means parking the chipper at the side of the road / on the pavement. The road is wide enough not to disrupt the traffic. Do you need permission from the council to stop on red lines all times or just normal working hours?

Thanks

Nick

I would speak to the LA first as you'll probably get a warden say 'yeah that's fine mate' then slap you with a ticket when you go back to work. If you get a ticket don't remove it or his mate will put one on as well!

Have a look at the link below and give the LA a call they will give the correct advise but you will have to pay for the permit

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/red-route-dispensations.pdf

is it double red lines or single? If it is double then you're buggered as you generally are never allowed to stop on them and for domestic work I doubt you'd be given permission. Single red it times restricted, there will be a sign near the lines (probably visible on google streetview).

Not that easy Tom, on double reds you may find your truck gone and needing public transport to get home. I found out the hard way a few years ago, it cost me £180 to get my car back, worse than that they were smoking it about for an hour before it got back to the compound.

Bob

Red routes are all managed by TFL (see link from JaySmith). You will need to speak to them first otherwise the vehicle and chipper will disappear. If you do go through TFL then there will be a cost. Not sure about single lines, but I do know the double lines are considered as Motorways in the eyes of TFL, therefore you will need the big cones, signs, diversions etc. It all adds up to a small fortune!!