cut utility cables

DWestbrook

The other point to my detriment, is that it is a cash job with no formal contract.

Do you really think that has any relevance, if it was a cash job , and you were electrocuted because of an incompetent installation, would that stop your wife from seeking compensation, its not about you being wrong or negligent , in cutting through the cable, its my questioning was the cable in the correct place? if not you can not be held accountable, you can be held accountable if you then try to cover up something which you should have raised at the time of discovery , if the cable is too shallow its not your fault. Simple. just tell it how it is and don't try to waffle.

:blushing:

cut through a tv aerial cable and a telephone cable whilst stump grinding today.

will i get away with a sensible repair, by rejoining a suitable lenght of cable(s)

any one done this?

Are you sure it was even working? I only say that as I cut through a phone line in a pyracantha had a panic about it and it turned out that it was not even connected anymore. Might be wishful thinking

Do you really think that has any relevance, if it was a cash job , and you were electrocuted because of an incompetent installation, would that stop your wife from seeking compensation, its not about you being wrong or negligent , in cutting through the cable, its my questioning was the cable in the correct place? if not you can not be held accountable, you can be held accountable if you then try to cover up something which you should have raised at the time of discovery , if the cable is too shallow its not your fault. Simple. just tell it how it is and don't try to waffle.

sure

its a simple job to repair for me.

Plain as.

No waffle.

It's a tv and telephone cable hardly life threatening.:001_huh:

Just join them together and don't worry. If it doesn't work your client can call the relevant company up and say there's a fault, they will then come out and replace the cable.:thumbup:

I've done it plenty of times with a grinder.:blushing:

It's frustrating when it happens, I went through a bt cable that was under a connie stump, the stump was well proud of the soil level so the cable ended up about 4in deep! We scanned it first but didn't show up, the customer was fine about it as she saw how shallow it was. She said she would contact bt direct and get it sorted.

I would only attemp a repair if you know for sure it will work otherwise it could come back to bite you later.

I think between me and my brother we've hit most services, electric, gas, water, BT, cabletell, Virgin, fibre, but street lighting is my favourite! As has already been said if it's not at its recommended depth then it's repaired/replaced by the provider usually, and with things like BT cables if the tree is potentially unsafe etc then a 30 sec phone call to inform them "I'm gonna snap it" somehow seems to get a free reconnection but as far as buried services goes invest in a cat scanner! I hit street lighting 8 inches up a sycamore stem with a ms460 levelling the stump...obviously where the tree had dragged it up as it grew.