loller and timber crane

agrimog

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumour, stress rumour, that even purpose built machines were going to need testing if used to lift anything other than wood - grab tanks onto a low-loader for example or lifting an engine out of another machine. Presumably as when doing this there are often people within the risk zone? Don't know if there's any truth in it.

So if you have a cab less tractor but the controls are still mounted on the tractor you need a LOLER test regardless??

As far as i'm aware. Your also not suppose to use the crane past the head board of the trailer as well.

I heard a rumour, stress rumour, that even purpose built machines were going to need testing if used to lift anything other than wood - grab tanks onto a low-loader for example or lifting an engine out of another machine. Presumably as when doing this there are often people within the risk zone? Don't know if there's any truth in it.

I'd imagine that is to do with the fact that is to do with that its lifting things other than timber.

• 8 months later...

It has nothing to do with the control location/ cab construction, the acop even specifically reference a front loader on a tractor.

A timber crane including its grab are covered by loler and must be subject to a thorough examination every 12 months, or in accordance with a scheme drawn up by a competent person. I've know hiab examiners charge from £75-£350 to examine a timber crane. Enquiring with a local mobile crane company may be the best way to find a reliable examiner.

It has nothing to do with the control location/ cab construction, the acop even specifically reference a front loader on a tractor.

A timber crane including its grab are covered by loler and must be subject to a thorough examination every 12 months, or in accordance with a scheme drawn up by a competent person. I've know hiab examiners charge from £75-£350 to examine a timber crane. Enquiring with a local mobile crane company may be the best way to find a reliable examiner.

SORRY about this but if you are a loler inspector i suggest you do a little homework before you quote that a timber crane has to be loler inspexted, because it does NOT and it does have something to do with where the controlls are mounted, HSE page lifting equipment in forestry quotes.

Tree harvesters & forwarders with appropiate protective structors will NOT require thorough examination.

Equipment used in forestry does not require thorough examination where

1, it does not lift over people

2, the opporator of equipment protected by a roll over protection system (ROPS) or tip over protection system (TOPS) and a falling object protection system (FOPS) or oporator protection system (OPS)

you quote that a timber crane and its grab are covered by loler and must be subject to a thorough examination every 12 monthes,is the HSE page wrong or are you wrong, i cant say what i would like to say on here but a loler inspector tryed this one on me and failed big time its called taking money ///////////////////////////////////////// ????????????>

Frustrating to say the least! I thought the link in post 9 was fairly comprehensive and unequivocal (and it seems to accord with LOLER UK's comments.)

Lifting equipment in forestry - Treework - HSE seems also to support?

extract - "..What is lifting equipment in forestry?

Any equipment that lifts or lowers loads, including:

processing machines that lift as part of their function, eg:

tree harvesters

bed processors..."

Is there another page somewhere that says the opposite?

Frustrating to say the least! I thought the link in post 9 was fairly comprehensive and unequivocal (and it seems to accord with LOLER UK's comments.)

Lifting equipment in forestry - Treework - HSE seems also to support?

extract - "..What is lifting equipment in forestry?

Any equipment that lifts or lowers loads, including:

processing machines that lift as part of their function, eg:

tree harvesters

bed processors..."

Is there another page somewhere that says the opposite?

Fair point! it goes on to say.....

"However, tree harvesters and forwarders with appropriate protective structures will not require thorough examination.

Equipment used in forestry does not need to be thoroughly examined where:

it does not lift loads over people and

the operators of equipment are protected by:

a roll-over protective structure (ROPS) or

a tip-over protective structure (TOPS) combined with:

a falling object protective structure (FOPS) and

an operator protective structure (OPS)..."

Apol's if that's all a bit bitty, I don't have a horse in the race regarding the forestry issue - just reading it is interesting (sad, I know.) It seems peculiar that specified forestry equipment, under certain circumstances, is exempted from LOLER but would still (presumably) be subject to PUWER which, is probably a very similar inspection regime and timeframe to that of LOLER?

Mini handler (Multione / Avant) I'm reading as requiring LOLER? Anyone know if that's correct??