Epic days milling western red cedar

Big J

We'll done J, the extra man power really ups productivity!!

Get the money's in mate!!

It literally triples production, having the extra guys there. Every time I have to leave the head of the mill, I'm losing money. I can't cut to length, shuttle down logs, pressure wash, load logs to forks ready for loading to the mill and unload the mill all at the same time. Perhaps I just need a less labour intensive cutting process!

I bang on about it, but a pressure washer is the best investment you can make for bandsaw milling. A few minutes per log is all it takes, and it strips all grit and muck off and prolongs band lift. I only used two bands all day today, and I reckon I can get another 3-4 cubic metres out of the one on the mill. Strap the pressure washer to an IBC tank and you've a completely portable washing system. Much better than a debarker.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It literally triples production, having the extra guys there. Every time I have to leave the head of the mill, I'm losing money. I can't cut to length, shuttle down logs, pressure wash, load logs to forks ready for loading to the mill and unload the mill all at the same time. Perhaps I just need a less labour intensive cutting process!

I bang on about it, but a pressure washer is the best investment you can make for bandsaw milling. A few minutes per log is all it takes, and it strips all grit and muck off and prolongs band lift. I only used two bands all day today, and I reckon I can get another 3-4 cubic metres out of the one on the mill. Strap the pressure washer to an IBC tank and you've a completely portable washing system. Much better than a debarker.

That surprises me that they don't last longer, how much does each new band set you back?

Now is that the western red cedar you felled that didn't have the felling mark on it and didn't have the pull rope tied on and attached to the skidder?

Grin!

Glad you're having fun milling it mate. That was a great week down there.

No real point to this thread, other than that I had an excellent day milling western red cedar that we'd harvested ourselves near Aberlour. Had two guys in for the day, both forklifts buzzing around (timber stacks sorted at the top, and logs cut to 2.5m and brought down to the lower yard. Other chap pressure washing logs prior to cutting and doing most of the unloading).

What a joy WRC is to cut - soft with little wear on the band (only had to change it once over the course of the day), a very fine finish and smells beautiful. With an average log of 48cm in diameter and 2.5m long, we ended up milling 30 of them on a 7.25hr day, for a total of 10.63 hoppus cubic metres (or 375 hoppus foot). All cut to 51mm with one straight edge (we still have some double waney boards to fire through the edger once it's properly set up). Most productive day I've ever had and lovely (a bit warm) weather to boot.

Anyone else had any great days on the saw of late?

MMEEEE!!!!!

I was just thinking myself, not done any milling for few weeks now and was thinking i was going to put a post on here just to say i have had an awesome day at the mill, by no means the production quantities of yourself J, it was steady away with the manual mill, and it was playing up a bit but i got some beautiful looking yew and cherry out of the day. I cant wait to have it dry and start using it.

DSC_0397.jpg.37926895d015c209f1282abfa84d7071.jpg

DSC_0396.jpg.810e89a136e9c57b5ef77fe95ffbea49.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg.916d54927f2b8f7a874a4d43413a0b52.jpg

DSC_0392.jpg.2cfd3a7cd3e5614a2321ea0afbef4ac4.jpg

Now is that the western red cedar you felled that didn't have the felling mark on it and didn't have the pull rope tied on and attached to the skidder?

Grin!

Glad you're having fun milling it mate. That was a great week down there.

Not sure which is which - all in a big heap by the time they got to my yard!

Nice work on the milling John - all looks like lovely stuff!

Another good day today, though a touch slower as we threaded most of the biggest butts through the mill - 9.14 cubic metres today (can't remember how many logs).

Here are a few pictures - this was the largest log, at about a metre in diameter at the mid point, 2.5m long and 1.5 cubic metres hoppus volume. I do recall that this one was felled by your rabble Jim:

988516_1036720739689578_3186325577836669569_n.jpg?oh=0298eca12c1158a33d50041dae9fef1a&oe=559D8643&__gda__=1437653890_60752d7b47347b4faadcada1900bd093

11053353_1036721333022852_4716493485100480175_n.jpg?oh=76f4e464b3140e5636a751733ff3fa15&oe=55AB0EC8

11149468_1036721916356127_2120377513482412670_n.jpg?oh=361c5ff13c3ebd4dfe29521472283b1f&oe=559A8E2D

11128199_1036721969689455_4197542120402557583_n.jpg?oh=8ad9270a9761a8fa178c3137ea7ea257&oe=55A1C2EF

Yep, definitely that one. I measured that one at 120ft - big tree:

603765_1036720806356238_5136968458905453854_n.jpg?oh=8c628976e65e35f249a433d1699b45a5&oe=55A93A7F

Getting it prepped for going on the mill.

It was just a bit big. The mill is designed to take up to 90cm, but that's a nice cylindrical 90cm. These WRC logs are tapered and often quite square with the buttresses. Coupled with the fact that this one was a metre makes for a bit of a headache.

Edited by Big J

That surprises me that they don't last longer, how much does each new band set you back?

Bands are about £32 plus VAT and delivery from Woodmizer. Good bands and only a little over half the price of Dakin Flathers Ripper 37. My only gripe is that I wish they wouldn't so tightly coil them for delivery (folded 5 times) as the only way to safely unravel them is to chuck the band onto a timber stack and run!

Most sawmills on my level change their band every 2hrs or sooner. I get on average 3 times as much cutting from every band because of the pressure washing. I also get more accurate cuts (the band was simply blunted, with little loss in cutting accuracy, just cutting speed. Also, it starts to tear the wood fibres a little when very blunt) and more resharpens, as the band is no suffering heavy stone strikes. The pressure washing probably saves me around 150 band sharpens a year (about £1800 in sharpening costs). Takes a bit of time to pressure wash, but that is more than made up for in increased production and reduced waste.

Bands are about £32 plus VAT and delivery from Woodmizer. Good bands and only a little over half the price of Dakin Flathers Ripper 37. My only gripe is that I wish they wouldn't so tightly coil them for delivery (folded 5 times) as the only way to safely unravel them is to chuck the band onto a timber stack and run!

Most sawmills on my level change their band every 2hrs or sooner. I get on average 3 times as much cutting from every band because of the pressure washing. I also get more accurate cuts (the band was simply blunted, with little loss in cutting accuracy, just cutting speed. Also, it starts to tear the wood fibres a little when very blunt) and more resharpens, as the band is no suffering heavy stone strikes. The pressure washing probably saves me around 150 band sharpens a year (about £1800 in sharpening costs). Takes a bit of time to pressure wash, but that is more than made up for in increased production and reduced waste.

Thanks interesting that. I did not realise you could sharpen them as well. Marks me realise another reason wood is not cheap!