Prusik loop

maria warwick

OK……. just trying to get into this climbing lark……..

I am reading and re-reading "the tree climber's companion" and practising my knots , like a good girl :big grin:

I am cool with a prusik loop but what about using a prusik that ends in a couple of tied-off ends instead , so that I could use a micro-pulley ?

This is all new to me , but I may as well ask the question before I get shot down later !!

The set up in the picture is just some old rope I had kicking around on the boat , as was the shackle.( the shackle is there as a pretend micro-pulley !) I bought the carabiner for later use ( hopefully).

I use the leg of my table as a pretend tree !!!

As it is set up in the picture on the tatty old rope , it all works surprisingly well !

20150406_210450.jpg.948b9a26448e979d50d4f5dd2f277417.jpg

Just an observation. The karabiner in your picture is not suitable for life support in a commercial tree climbing scenario. You should be looking for karabiners with a minimum three way action on the gate. These karainers should be CE marked and rated. Many also carry independent identification numbers laser etched on their spines (excellent or traceability).

Tree Climber's Companion is great - when you go out into the woods or wherever to practice - a throwline and throwbag, with a throwcube is worth having - you've got to really chuck hard to throw the rope over a branch (unless it's low!), but the throwline and weight is easy, just persevere when it gets tangled ( the cube helps). Also buy a foot ascender, guaranteed you'll find it easier for getting into the tree, when you're up there the branches help - you can pull with your arms, and stand on them to go higher, but getting into the crown is easier if you put your weight on the foot ascender, then move your prussik up and reapeat. It is doable without the asender, I just find it hard work.

It's good to try different things and well done you for giving it a go!

IMO I think you would be better off learning with a basic prussick loop.

Keeping things very basic until your a little more confident, and there is nothing wrong with this system as I climbed on a blakes hitch/ prussick for 8 years.

But the choice is yours and nothing is right or wrong.

Your definitely in the best place possible for advice.

Good luck and enjoy your climbs.