Recession?

Lee Winger

Well are we in one? i'm pretty certain we are in the start of one! lots of firms I speak to in all trades, say they are very quiet.

My brother-inlaw a very successfull businessman, industrial electrical engineering company, says hes been very very quiet since November, I've spoke to a lot of BShitters lately who claim to be busy again all trades, you scratch the surface and dig for the truth they end up teling you they are quiet as well..

I've been going for 15 years plus and i've not been this quiet for a very very long time! and my companys work as a few on here know, is second to none!

Again are we in a Recession? the front page of Saturdays Independent thought so, heres a an article from the Independant http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3353651.ece

I keep myfingers crossed the economy will pick-up , but my heart tells me we are in for a few very rough years!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not run a business during a recession. I am far too young. But some words of wisdom I received last week went along these lines:

`Do not panic. Negativity can affect your decisions and become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Recession is not necessarily a bad thing for your business. Its just a part of the economic cycle.

It should be easy to thrive in a recession because the competition will be terrified.`

I have not run a business during a recession. I am far too young. But some words of wisdom I received last week went along these lines:

`Do not panic. Negativity can affect your decisions and become a self fulfilling prophecy.

Recession is not necessarily a bad thing for your business. Its just a part of the economic cycle.

It should be easy to thrive in a recession because the competition will be terrified.`

Spot on! It will get rid of the deadwood.

its a quiet time of year anyway so its hard to see if we are needing into one. they have been saying it for a while but we have got low unemployment and interest rates are still low compared to the last recession. fingers crossed.

I'm sorry but I don't see any wisdom in those word will those words get the phone ringing, and put money in the bank, I think not, I'd call those words , sweeping reality under the carpet!

The only good thing to come out of a recession is some of the competition get culled, the art is not getting yourself culled, whilst waiting for the others to drop..:icon14:

its a quiet time of year anyway so its hard to see if we are needing into one. they have been saying it for a while but we have got low unemployment and interest rates are still low compared to the last recession. fingers crossed.

I haven't been quiet in January for over 6 years

I'm sorry but I don't see any wisdom in those word will those words get the phone ringing, and put money in the bank, I think not, I'd call those words , sweeping reality under the carpet!

The only good thing to come out of a recession is some of the competition get culled, the art is not getting yourself culled, whilst waiting for the others to drop..:icon14:

I think the words are meant to show that a downturn in work is not something an established business is powerless to overcome.

I think the words are meant to show that a downturn in work is not something an established business is powerless to overcome.

You could well be correct, but in the last recession I knew of firms who went down the pan that had be going for 50 odd years, what happens say for instance if you carry out a 10k job, and the firm who your working for goes down the tube owing you 10k leaving you out of pockets because of wages etc.

Thats how a recession can cripple a firm overnight!