Can I borrow......

stewie

Well its the time of year when all our close family and friend start to have ideas on DIY gardening and tree work so as i'm sure you will all be aware you will be the first person they ask for a chainsaw, Strimmer, hedge trimmer etc etc :thumbdown: I honestly hate lending my stuff out to people who may mean well but in reality have no idea that reving the life out of a tool on full throttle for tank after tank of MY two stroke isn't what there for :sneaky2: but the fact is your the only one "who does that kind of work" so your first on the list :001_rolleyes: i did a garage clearance few weeks back and in there was an electric chainsaw, electric hedge trimmers, electric flymo and a tiny little electric strimmer so I've stored them all in my garage and anyone wanting to borrow these tools is more than welcome as on the day they want the "proper" tools ill unfortunately be doing a tree, hedge, mowing job or whatever job the tool does that they want to borrow :lol: I was in Leicester few weeks back and forgot to take my stihl saw :blushing: so went to a hire shop and they wanted a £100 deposit, two forms of id and £65 a day hire charge :scared1: needless to say I just drove home and picked mine up lol but these places must make a fortune out of lending stuff out they can survive without whereas if we lend something out and it breaks it's could lose us work and a hefty bill to get it fixed!!! My new saying is "these tools are my livelyhood and your garden is your hobby, get your own stuff or help yourself to the electric tools in the corner of the garage" :thumbup:

How do you lot deal with folk like these as i'm sure we all have it :laugh1::thumbup1:

Edited by stewie

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont lend anything out, learnt the hard way over the years.

When working on a stud farm down south, ride on mower broke, said my socket set was in the lock up and he could use it, went up half hour later to find he had gone off cutting grass and where was my snap on socket set, scattered across the yard, not impressed.

And definetly would not lend out any of my chainsaws, old maybe, but there my pride and joy.

Get their own.

Memories of broken engine hoist (used to lift car up after jack collapsed), long stihl hedge cutter with shredded gearbox (it struggled a bit on the ash twigs and made a funny noise) to name but two.

Why should we provide the means to allow someone to do us out of work?

If it's family or really good friend I'll do it for them.

Otherwise the tools are either being repaired or used on the required day.

Don't know, but it's in for repair. Ow, and let's not forget the sword and chain that are f**ked as well.

I'm not a big company, so we don't have two of everything... And off course we needed a big saw yesterday with a windblown oak.

Absolutely no lending! Not even with a "you bend it you mend it caveat". Previous examples: 1) Brand new clearing saw; comes back with smashed muffler and filthy - how do they do it? 2) Ifor trailer; returned with puncture, missing tailboard pin, broken rear ground wear bar, elec lead covered in mud and full of rubbish.

I like the above: " my livelihood, your hobby...":thumbup1: