Underpaid for my experience and competence?

Dionysus

Been umming and aaahing over posting this for a while now.

Im a lead climber with 6 years experience in arb, 1 year grounding and trainee climbing as an apprentice, another year as second climber/groundy and 4 years as a first climber, i have cs 30 31 38 39 pa 1 and 6 an nvq lvl2 in arboriculture and an apprenticeship in tree's and timber, also have a uk driving licence, but no towing licence.

I feel these days that i don't ever turn up to a job and think i can't do it.

Im getting paid around 92 quid a day on PAYE, my boss recently took on another climber who was getting more than me(and from the opinion of the groundies was worth less), and a second climber/groundy who is on around the same as me. do you think that what i am being paid is reasonable? also is my boss out of line for paying them that pay grade?

Basically to get to the crux, i wanted to ask anyone else on out there that is on PAYE to reply and tell me what you think, or if you are more forthcoming, drop me a pm and compare your rate.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a lead climber with 6 years experience in arb, 1 year grounding and trainee climbing as an apprentice, another year as second climber/groundy and 4 years as a first climber, i have cs 30 31 38 39 pa 1 and 6 an nvq lvl2 in arboriculture and an apprenticeship in tree's and timber, also have a uk driving licence, but no towing licence.

Im getting paid around 92 quid a day on PAYE, my boss recently took on another climber who was getting more than me(and from the opinion of the groundies was worth less), and a second climber/groundy who is on around the same as me. do you think that what i am being paid is reasonable? also is my boss out of line for paying them that pay grade?

Basically to get to the crux, i wanted to ask anyone else on out there that is on PAYE to reply and tell me what you think, or if you are more forthcoming, drop me a pm and compare your rate.

Have a chat with your boss and explain the way you feel it matters very little what others earn or think you should earn. It's down to you and your boss to come to an arrangement. Can he afford to pay you more ? Do you get any other perks? If I get a good lad I'll look after them but I allso don't have lads on the books that have to be paid week in week out come rain or shine.

Have a chat with your boss and explain the way you feel it matters very little what others earn or think you should earn. It's down to you and your boss to come to an arrangement. Can he afford to pay you more ? Do you get any other perks? If I get a good lad I'll look after them but I allso don't have lads on the books that have to be paid week in week out come rain or shine.

I understand it is all about what my boss is willing to pay me, but a lead climber on a second climbers rate? i just imagined i would be starting to move up by now, the other perks are negligable, 28 days hol, no overtime, no propper weekend work, no bonus scheme, there is a health insurance scheme but you have to pay into it.

I understand it is all about what my boss is willing to pay me, but a lead climber on a second climbers rate? i just imagined i would be starting to move up by now, the other perks are negligable, 28 days hol, no overtime, no propper weekend work, no bonus scheme, there is a health insurance scheme but you have to pay into it.

It's got nowt to do with what your boss is willing to pay! It's to do with your worth!

If your good, and not happy, move on........ It's easier than you think!:thumbup1:

Have you asked when you will get a lead climber rate? A lot of guys I know will pay the least they can till confronted.

The way I'd play it is have a week where all jobs are done ahead of time and everyone's happy then tell him your running a tight gang and are worth more.

That's plenty lots are on less, but if you must ask for more don't discuss the other employees that isn't your business you need to address the situation with reasons relating to what you do not what others supposedly get paid....

Its funny ,but the willing horse gets all the work and none of the pay!

When you are 'in place' working ,no matter how good or how loyal you are,it is quite common for a 'newbie' starting to have brokered a better deal. It always seems easier to set a better rate to begin with rather to broach the subject once you have worked there a few years.

As has already been said,bring it up,speak with your boss.

In one position I was in I asked my boss for a wage increase stating why and justifying it.He stopped me in my tracks by telling me ,never explain and justify why you need a wage increase,if you are good and worth it your boss should already know.

I think you have been their too long, you have got comfortable and feel you are worth more than you are.

The groundies said this, my boss did that.

Company owners are in their position for a reason, they pay money and choose staff for a reason.

Time to man up and have a chat with the boss, i have never been paid what i thought i was worth and never got what i asked for and left previous employers.

Work for yourself, simples!

I remember this scenario, same happened to me , just give in your notice, then when he gets you in the office on your last day of work ( trying to call your bluff) sting him , demand a whopping pay rise, aim about 30% above what you know the new chap is getting as the next pay rise will be a long time coming, sounds like its time for a change for you anyway, and it's good to get out of your comfort zone, Good luck.