requirements for working for a supermarket

deezyboy

Hi all,

In the very early stages of looking at doing some tree work for a supermarket in Essex, and so am looking for the requirements that come with that, IE: I currently only have 2 mill public liability, I expect they shall wish me to have perhaps 10 mill cover? etc

What other requirements are there that you know of? or even any advice that you would have for me.

Haven't spoken directly to anybody yet, but have been shown the tree report and asked if I would be interested.

This could potentially be my first big 'break' from doing Mrs muggins apple tree into doing bigger, more 'beneficial' work so although it is slightly intimidating, I feel it is something I need to seriously consider.

Also, if the work did come about, would be looking to hire a couple guys, with van and chipper for potentially 2 days work, they would need to remove wood chip and would get to keep all of the timber, as I don't think my landy would appreciate the trip up from Devon.

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Contact the Corporate HQ for minimum requirements required as a vendor, and or request a specifications sheet or scope of work requested by vendors. Sorry if my American does not translate out well enough. Contractors usually contact Corporate 1st and get all answers there.

easy-lift guy

And what makes you think they will pay up in less than 90 days after the end of the month in which they receive the invoice.

The grass can be less than green on the other side.

They will usualy want you to produce a method statement specific to that job, risk assessment, attend site briefing before starting, wear whatever coloured vests they chose while you are there and more.

Last time we worked for a named supermarket I spent A LOT longer with the prep of parework than we did on the job. I got paid the same year.

I personally prefer working for Mrs Goggins/Muggins/Miggins.

And what makes you think they will pay up in less than 90 days after the end of the month in which they receive the invoice.

The grass can be less than green on the other side.

They will usualy want you to produce a method statement specific to that job, risk assessment, attend site briefing before starting, wear whatever coloured vests they chose while you are there and more.

Last time we worked for a named supermarket I spent A LOT longer with the prep of parework than we did on the job. I got paid the same year.

I personally prefer working for Mrs Goggins/Muggins/Miggins.

My sentiments exactly.

Mrs miggins will see you as a working man with a family to feed

Corporations will see you as number on a payroll

Thanks for your advice and opinions, I realise the snags and negatives that come with working for a bigger corporation, until I speak to the gentleman later it is still very much a potential idea or even day dream.

I didn't mean to sound rash, and I enjoy the perks of working for the small, local customers. No stress, in and out and cash handed to you whilst tidying up, as well as building good word of mouth recommendations and future work links.

It is just I believe you have one chance, and should grab or at least consider any opportunities you get, as who knows what could happen.

Cheers

Thanks for your advice and opinions, I realise the snags and negatives that come with working for a bigger corporation, until I speak to the gentleman later it is still very much a potential idea or even day dream.

I didn't mean to sound rash, and I enjoy the perks of working for the small, local customers. No stress, in and out and cash handed to you whilst tidying up, as well as building good word of mouth recommendations and future work links.

It is just I believe you have one chance, and should grab or at least consider any opportunities you get, as who knows what could happen.

Cheers

I understand where your coming from its good to have aspirations but I would grow your business on your current client? You will naturally progress on to bigger jobs.

The other thing been you really need all your own gear to get this sort of work it's a competitive market and you will need to keep your overheads as low as possible. Hireling lads in with a chipper and to remove chip ain't going to be cheep.