Leylandii removal

keptenjim

I have about 20 Leylandii trees to remove in my garden - average about 12" diameter trunks.

Is there an optimum length to leave the stumps? That is, do you cut the trees down as close to the ground as possible or leave an optimum amount of stump above ground? I will want to remove the stumps eventually but don't know if it's best to let the roots rot in the ground before removing them or to grind them out

If you are pulling out the roots with a tractor or such leave four feet or more. Tie chain at top and pull. Not much root on leylandii.

Otherwise go as low as possible without destroying your saw chain with soil.

I had one down the garden and used a mattock round the base to cut the roots then dug under it to finish it off but it was a fair size root to move. It was not so much when the soil had dried and could knock it about to loosen it.

I found the bigger leylandii a bugger to get out ,Took a row out a few years ago using a manitou telehandler and it took a fair bit of rocking back and forth before it was fit to lift them out. I had left the stump/cut about 6ft high to get decent leverage.

Is it possible to get a machine/tractor/digger to them?

I found the bigger leylandii a bugger to get out ,Took a row out a few years ago using a manitou telehandler and it took a fair bit of rocking back and forth before it was fit to lift them out. I had left the stump/cut about 6ft high to get decent leverage.

Is it possible to get a machine/tractor/digger to them?

I can probably get a digger to them. I'm away from home at the moment but I think some of the trees are bigger than I originally thought - up to 18" in diameter. Might have to grind the bigger ones and lever out the smaller ones

I did a job like this a few years ago at home. Chopped the stems to about 4ft and then used a Hi-Lift jack with a chain around the stump to tear them out the ground. It needed a concrete slab under the Hi-lift to stop it sinking in.

And be careful of the jack handle, I slipped whilst it was under load and I have a scar where it went through my top lip!

I can probably get a digger to them. I'm away from home at the moment but I think some of the trees are bigger than I originally thought - up to 18" in diameter. Might have to grind the bigger ones and lever out the smaller ones

Dig around them with a 1ft bucket and they will come out easily. Any pro digger driver with a wheeled digger or similar sized tracked machine will have them out in minutes. Few roots left unlike grinding.