firewood costs

Steve Bullman

I can see what you mean Steve, I only sell waste, and wouldn't buy in. I probably average 100 - 150 ton a year, but with the site clearence jobs thin on the ground and more and more domestic customers asking to keep the wood there's less to go around.

There's still going to be a good market for it though as so many more people are burning it these days. How do you sell it? by the bag or load etc?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The other thing that I must admit I never even consider is how much is stuff actually costing you. Most of us have mortgages ,that £80 quid a month could save you stupid money over the lifespan of the mortgage (A few grand - Which is a lot of firewood, especially if you could earn money better elsewhere) It's something my accountant keeps trying to explain to me, but I guess I like a beer and I like toys to much to take that much notice!!

oooooh haha

£4600 and shes yours!

Could be asking at the wrong end of the season, certainly should be worth that steve, just think it could be a bit much for me to lay out on a first machine.

I think there would be plenty of takers if you did decide to sell it!

If I had to buy in timber then it wouldnt be worth it for me tbh.

Although we dont push the firewood as much as we should and with tree work being slacker this year I may look to making a bit of it back this winter from firewood.

It does seem to be a lot of work and expense for not much return. I look at it that we dont have to pay to get rid of timber or drive about delivering it for free and it keeps us busy ish when the work is quiet and the weather is poor.

I'm thinking of getting into firewood properly for exactly the same reasons - I produce hundreds of tonnes of hard / softwood pulp every year, have plenty of yard space, vehicles for delivery etc, and very little competition.

How much do you charge for 3 m3 Steve? my truck holds 11m3, I am thinking of putting 2 hinged dividers in to give me 3 bays.