Stihl km94r

dan494

Has anyone had any experience of the km94r combi engine? Looking to buy a new engine in the next week or so and just spotted this model on a few websites. Looks good in that it's not a 4 mix which some people have issues with, not sure about the engine speed adjuster, can't see why you'd want to lower the power

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went and got one on Monday despite the lack of reviews, dealer has only had them in for two weeks which explains that. All the power adjuster thingy does is prevent you pulling the trigger as far. Bit of a gimmick really and won't be used. As for the engine its smooth starts really easily, and powers the hedge cutter attachment perfectly, still on its first tank so can't comment on it long term obviously or other attachments but pleased so far. Only thing I thought was a bit strange is that the carb can't be adjusted, say factory preset for most conditions on the manual, all you can change is the idle

I have a km94. Bought the full strimmer version last year which I converted to kombi unit straight away. Ditching the strimmer shaft for short kombi. The engine unit it self has been pretty much perfect. The air filter got flooded with petrol once but I believe that was the way I stored it once....in a cupboard on its side.

The engine throttle dial is very usual, especially for strimming large tricky area when you don't need full throttle and can just run at half speed. Same with hedge cutting. It its slightly less torquey than km90 etc, noticeable more with a pole pruner.

I'd recommend one. Fair better than the 4 mix unit which I have had 3 off. And they all have the usual faults....leaky carbs

Can't comment on this particular engine, but you want to lower power output when using the hedge-trimmer. They do not last long while using full power...

I find that even the KM90 engine only needs about half revs to maintain the same blade speed as burying the throttle anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the strimmer version in November 2014. I use it for strimming, Hedge Cutting & Polesawing. I love it all the diss advantages of the 4 mix have gone. It revs lovely, easy to start, very light & no valves. I have done a fair bit of work with it but think I should wait a years service before I coment about reliability. It has not missed a beat yet great machine. lots of power economical as any small engine. I never use the throtle stop wheel thing as I just simply pull trigger to desired revs for job in hand. I thinks its there to show the E.U. that they have thought about emision control. I would buy another one tomorrow its very simalar to husqvarna 327 ldx. Differences are higher vibs feels a little more robust than husqy beter dealer back up with the stihl. However husqy still very good and makes 4 mix seem medievil!