New top handle policy....

Djvicke1

It's not a new policy, it's been around for years. There is a global policy that all the proper manufacturers (husky, Stihl, dolmar, echo, efco, any others I can't think of) entered an agreement that only 'professional users' could obtain top handled chainsaws. Under the UK HASAWA, this means that we require cs39 or 46 (repollarding trees). Any dealer found in breach of the policy runs the risk of having their dealership removed. The dealer doesn't have to send your certificate off to have the saw released, as they should already have the item in stock.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm talking cobblers-

Didn't this come about because there was a regular occurence of accidents when folk were using a topper in the right hand and holding firewood in the left hand. Lots of damage to the back of left hands. This led to 2 things (?)-

Introduction of chainsaw gloves with that weird bit of protection only on the back of the left hand.

Followed by- Introduction of having to produce an NPTC cert to buy a top handled saw.

Didn't this come about because there was a regular occurence of accidents when folk were using a topper in the right hand and holding firewood in the left hand. Lots of damage to the back of left hands. This led to 2 things (?)-

Introduction of chainsaw gloves with that weird bit of protection only on the back of the left hand.

Followed by- Introduction of having to produce an NPTC cert to buy a top handled saw.

Yup, and from kickback with no hand to knock the brake on

The introduction of saw protection to the left hand glove is back when there were no front hand guards/chainbrakes. Since there introduction there have been very few accidents to the left other than stupidity which you cant legislate against! Gloves with saw protection are now a waste of money imho.

The code of conduct was introduced by manufacturers as a conciliation to hse and other similar euro agencies who were all set to effectively ban the sale of them in europe.

I suspect it has had little affect on reducing injuries as top handle sales are only a small percentage of overall chainsaw sales even though the risk of injury is slightly higher with a TH saw than a back handle due to the increased difficulty in controlling kickback. the risk is in the nature of the operation itself, a novice user is almost as likely to injure themselves with a back handle saw as a top handle one in the same circumstance.

That said, it must surely be better for the industry overall to limit sales as much as possible to the professional!

Bring back the Husqvarna 338XPT fantastic little saw, once run in will wipe the floor with those Stihls, very under rated saw.

Funny you say that. My mates just got his out on site today as his new husky and stihl both broke. Pulled it out the container after its been sat for over a year and it's working faultlessly.

Bring back the Husqvarna 338XPT fantastic little saw, once run in will wipe the floor with those Stihls, very under rated saw.

Until you work on the carb, stop switch or anything else in the airbox! Then it's crap!

Just have to know how the best way to go about it, after you have done the first 10 its like falling out of bed, and a lot easier than working on the Stihl.

I know how to do it, it's just large hands don't fit in small places, and the 200t is much easier to work on in comparison, although I suppose you get more practice with 200t carbs...