LOLER (Thorough Examination of Arboricultural Equipment

LOLERsouthend

If the in house person knows the kit better than anyone and how it is used better than anyone and he is professional then he is better to do the te than anyone

Though I do have a slightly different view of the business owner that has to pay for the equipment

Though that would really depend on the person.

Still can't see him passing anything likely to fail though

Just a bit more lax on expirery dates

to comply with loller, any kit must be checked by a "competent" person, now who is going to be more competent than the person who is using, maintaining, and repairing whatever kit is involved. back in the days of common sense how did we ever manage without all this big brother holding our hands........

We didnt, we all died back in 1982 when someone ignored a "Hot Water, caution this water is hot" sign and this is just one of a infinite number of computer programs trying to figure out what size font should have been used.

In house Examinations, i'm not really convinced about but the logic is clear, it saves money, But at the risk of what, Mike P is right to be cautious and within a team or small firm, risk of fear and favour will probably be quite high, depending on who pays for things of course. A karabiner, harness or rope can be replaced, hands arms fingers walking are a little more difficult to obtain.

Externally tendered Examinations are probably best because then there is no one and no animosity within a crew that get on well, and work as a team. External examinations also provide a good oportunity for conversation regarding kit and how best to look after it, with independent advice from Inspectors like Mike you would probably get good feed back.

Sounds like an interesting organisation ti can you expand a little on what you do?

Sure... Check out betel.org.uk

Basically were a charity that started by "accident" in Madrid about 25 years ago. One guy (a Christian missionary) helped one addict get off drugs who in turn helped another guy get off drugs who in turn helped another guy get off drugs who helped another....... And so on and so on.

Now Betel is in over 100 cities around the world. Our centres don't have staff as such just men and women who have found freedom themselves and stay on and in turn help others and build residences and businesses as they move forward. Betel uk has furniture businesses, landscaping teams and tree work teams. We don't claim benefits for our residents or get any help or funding from the Government. I got helped off heroin over 8 years ago decided to stay and help build, met my wife here and we now run a men's recovery centre.

Betel has been an incredible adventure for me (also I did all my tickets here as well) as it has for many others too.

I suspect that there are a fair few climbers out there who don't have kit loler checked.

I do, but in reality it's compliance, I check my gear regularly and discard/replace as soon as I'm concerned.

I know others present knackered kit to inspectors and make a fuss when its failed.

Its a jungle out there.

I suspect that there are a fair few climbers out there who don't have kit loler checked.

I do, but in reality it's compliance, I check my gear regularly and discard/replace as soon as I'm concerned.

I know others present knackered kit to inspectors and make a fuss when its failed.

Its a jungle out there.

I was in the barbers the other day and another tree surgeon came in we got talking and I mentioned that we now offered a LOLER TE service. I asked him where he got his kit done.

He just went quiet.

The reality is that the majority of arborists don't bother with TEs, and even the ones that do don't do weekly inspections and keep written records, and also don't check all their kit before each climb.

Out of all those thousands of people who don't comply with the law, only a tiny number will experience equipment failure resulting in injury.

Betel, you should have said! Do you work out of manna farm then? quite a unique company set up that Betel have, one of my most hospitable clients for sure! love to all the guys, M

it's good to hear that your colleague cross checks your kit, id suggest that it's clearly documented on the record that he did yours & you did his as it were, you know where i am if you want anything expanded on.

Betel, you should have said! Do you work out of manna farm then? quite a unique company set up that Betel have, one of my most hospitable clients for sure! love to all the guys, M

it's good to hear that your colleague cross checks your kit, id suggest that it's clearly documented on the record that he did yours & you did his as it were, you know where i am if you want anything expanded on.

Nice one! We work out of Windmill house in BHAM. Jimmy speaks very highly of you and your work. Be in touch. Thanks