1/2 metre and 1 metre long logs

woody woodpecker

Hi GUYS

I have been asked by a couple of rhi customers with large boilers to supply the above size logs .Do any of you supply log in these sizes and how do you sell them e.g loose load or in billet bundles ,what is the cheapest was of doing billet bundles without investing in loads of expensive equipment.

any comments will be greatly appreciated.

thanks chris:confused1:

You will need to be an RHI approved firewood supplier to enable the customer to claim RHI. That looks pretty straight forward, just a matter of cost and annual audit costs.

As regards the supply IMHO a decent splitter is your best option and billet bundle it.

A

Yes!

And Bear with me while I waffle.

(i) I found the 1.0m3 bundles too bulky and heavy and hard to strap and handle.

Therefore 0.5m3 in a 1.0m long billet bundle, in conifer, weighs about 160kg when at 12%/15% (& nominally 250kg when wet)

2 runs of 13-15mm wide strapping is more than adequate to secure these.

I would suggest you suggest supplying the 0.5m customers with 1.0m lengths and let them cut the bundles or billets in 1/2 themselves.

Or else deliver the 0.5m lengths "in bulk" i.e. loose.

Re the billet bundling process, any reasonable approximation to a 1/2 round to stack then into, with a full circle template behind to follow when doing the top half.

Will "pull into" an approximately round bundle when tensioned up.

Pure Physics at work!

I intend to use the stroke of the 17tonne force splitter hyd ram, to pretension my bundles, with a short wire strop.

Billet bundler to be located right beside the splitter, so this makes sense.

Then strap with blue rope and a lorrymans/farmers hitch to secure.

Presumably you have a lifting device considering the weight involved? forklift/overhead crane/block and tackle etc.

If so then just choker the stack with a suitable rope (preferably wire) and then whilst tensioned together apply strapping to retain together for delivery.

Unless of course your trees are really twisted/wriggly in which case it might be a pain!