makita 4300 (help)

harvey b davison

Hi, started up my trusty 4300 this morning for the first time in about 2 months (it did have old fuel in), it took a while to start up which is unusual, but it then ran ok for about 5 mins. After that it started to 'pip/pop' type of thing with revs dropping and fighting to keep going. I also noticed the spark arrester inside the exhaust was glowing fire red. I turned the saw off and let it cool a little. After 5 mins the saw started and ran ok, but then within minutes it was running crap, and then i was getting the odd spark flying out of the exhaust. So any ideas please. Please be aware that i am not technically mind so you will have answer in basic terms please.I have also took a few photos of the saw.

Thanks

Harvey.

007.jpg.cba7b15c343a853ac3bf83613b8fabd4.jpg

003.jpg.a7f3c3bc6d2f1f30978b55768a89c0f1.jpg

001.jpg.1456e10a51c128ceecba255095ae1993.jpg

It sounds like the old fuel caused the saw to overheat and was in the edge of seizure. It does look like the piston is OK though so it may be OK.

Get some fresh fuel in it and run it up and see what gives. Is there any scoring on that piston? It looks clean in the pic!

The sparks will have been caused by excessive heta burning up the carbon in the saw.

try to find out what the factory settings are for the saw? usually 1 turn out on L and H and the idle you should be able to tell what a decent tick over speed is without chain creep.

my dcs 4301 has a spark arrestor also which glows red. i think this is normal and probably intentional as some sort of emission reduction (might be wrong? but mine has always done this and runs fine and has done for hours of work.)

check you plug colour after a bit.

good luck

As Bill says, most saws have the H and L screws set to 1 turn out, not sure what your "S" screw is or if your saws carb has limiters on it.

You could fire it up, get the screwdriver in the H screw, undo it around 1 turn and then rev it flat out and turn the screw in until the saw sounds a little thumpy but revs to what is normal without screaming.....if that makes sense!

Set the L screw to 1 turn and adjust the idle to suit and see how it picks up/idles

try to find out what the factory settings are for the saw? usually 1 turn out on L and H and the idle you should be able to tell what a decent tick over speed is without chain creep.

my dcs 4301 has a spark arrestor also which glows red. i think this is normal and probably intentional as some sort of emission reduction (might be wrong? but mine has always done this and runs fine and has done for hours of work.)

check you plug colour after a bit.

good luck

hello bill having trouble finding a 401 piston did you get one a few months ago

thanks