Coppicing with a clearance saw

The stihl scratcher blade on a decent brushcutter is ideal for that sort of work (similar to tct blade but proper rpm rating)

I wouldn't be doing it with a chainsaw.

Gives you a a good idea here of capabilities.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. Blades are only £25-£30 so might give them a go. Do they last long?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I tried it in dense coppice on my fs560 it was terrible. Yes I cut a huge amount in the first 20 secs. I then had fallen stems everywhere at all angles. Try clearing that with a 6ft many kg load strapped across your front. I soon gave up and used a chain saw and silky where suitable. If you've got one, try it. I love my fs560 and would use nothing else for brambles. For dense coppice stools it was worse than useless.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for. Blades are only £25-£30 so might give them a go. Do they last long?

Don't buy the cheap brands as they wont last but the stihl one is good and you can tickle it with a flat file to keep a nice edge. They actually cut better after a file than when new ive found.

You would get your moneys worth out of it for the work they are capable of doing, saves your back and work at a good speed.

The stihl scratcher blade on a decent brushcutter is ideal for that sort of work (similar to tct blade but proper rpm rating)

I wouldn't be doing it with a chainsaw.

Gives you a a good idea here of capabilities.

That's a good vid mate..

I was a bit unimpressed at first with the speed, then realised the lad knew what he was doing, laying the stems where he wanted them like a mini harvester.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I've done a lot of birch regen clearance with a big Stihl clearing saw, and they can be useful once you get the knack. You can direct the stems into a pile almost. Get a few blades and sharpen them a good bit before working, so they bite nicely. Maybe fell into piles and take second pass over stools to tidy. A well-fitting harness is also crucial, or you'll be walking round like Quazimodo.

I'll try it at the weekend to see. They're not actually very nimble at all as they're heavy and hard to reverse but with well laid out regular coppice I could see it working. Yes they will drive over a stool but the bar will be all over the place so you'd have to position and attack one stool at a time not just walk up and down. Interesting idea though.