milling long bits of timber

Liam88

We are very close now to producing our own first cut system... very close!

It will come in 1.5m lengths (with an option of 3m lengths if you are mainland UK) and should be very easy to clip together.

Will have several options as how you fix to the log.

Will be cheaper and better than the current EZ rail system (for a basic 3m system that does not join together ie comes as 3m lengths rather than 1.5m) price will be around the £180-00+vat.

Not quite £7-00 ;) but I think folk will be happy with what they get.

:001_smile:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

Like I said, there is a time and a place for an Alaskan and your oak in your woodland is just such an instance. :thumbup1:

How much would a 32" dia green oak weigh, per metre, roughly?

I'm looking to get them out of the woods into a pile ready for a day or two of mobile milling.... I'm not sure how much I'm gonna have to do with the Alaskan?

Is there an online weight calculator for UK species?

Cheers, Steve

How much would a 32" dia green oak weigh, per metre, roughly?

I'm looking to get them out of the woods into a pile ready for a day or two of mobile milling.... I'm not sure how much I'm gonna have to do with the Alaskan?

Is there an online weight calculator for UK species?

Cheers, Steve

Generally work on 26-27 hoppus foot per tonne on fresh felled denser UK hardwood (oak, beech, elm). So 32" would be about 540kg per metre, or thereabouts.

If you have a significant amount of timber, and extraction isn't too much of an effort, extract it mechanically and hire in a mobile mill. Even if you mill it in the woods, you'll still have to haul it out somehow and with the timber that you don't turn into sawdust (2mm kerf versus 9-10mm), the extraction and probably the milling is paid for.

Not trying to dismiss the value of the Alaskan mill, but for anyone producing any volume of timber, it's best reserved for jobs where there is no other option.

Generally work on 26-27 hoppus foot per tonne on fresh felled denser UK hardwood (oak, beech, elm). So 32" would be about 540kg per metre, or thereabouts.

If you have a significant amount of timber, and extraction isn't too much of an effort, extract it mechanically and hire in a mobile mill. Even if you mill it in the woods, you'll still have to haul it out somehow and with the timber that you don't turn into sawdust (2mm kerf versus 9-10mm), the extraction and probably the milling is paid for.

Not trying to dismiss the value of the Alaskan mill, but for anyone producing any volume of timber, it's best reserved for jobs where there is no other option.

That's really helpful thankyou BigJ :thumbup:

Pretty sure I could tug things around up to about 1ton without too much damage, so according to that I may get away with Alaskan quartering a 32" oak at 6m length.

Most sections will be at 3.4m length.... so I might get away with just Alaskan milling those in half.

Some of the oak diameters are about 36".... some are quite a smaller. Is there a chart, or book with the weight conversions?

cheers, steve

Work on the basis of 26-27 hoppus foot per tonne (I used 26.5 for argument's sake).

So the formula is simple.

1/4 girth squared, times length, divided by 1728 (all in inches).

So for 36", multiply 36 by pi (3.142) to get girth - 113.112

Divide that by 4 - 28.28

Multiply it by itself - 799.76

Times it by length (in this case a metre, which is 39.37 inches) - 31486.55

Divide by 1728 - 18.22 hoppus foot

Then divide 18.22 by 26.5 and you have your weight: 688kg per metre

Work on the basis of 26-27 hoppus foot per tonne (I used 26.5 for argument's sake).

So the formula is simple.

1/4 girth squared, times length, divided by 1728 (all in inches).

So for 36", multiply 36 by pi (3.142) to get girth - 113.112

Divide that by 4 - 28.28

Multiply it by itself - 799.76

Times it by length (in this case a metre, which is 39.37 inches) - 31486.55

Divide by 1728 - 18.22 hoppus foot

Then divide 18.22 by 26.5 and you have your weight: 688kg per metre

Blimey you are a handy Harry! :thumbup:

I need to get a tattoo of that!

Superb, thanks muchly.

cheers, steve

I found this the other day very cleaver way of doing it I recon.

That's a great technique -but you're a bit reliant on the timber being straight and true to start with and a bit fiddly with all the nails and getting them the same height.

But I suppose you could free hand flatten a knobbly log and still use it.