Time to kiln dry firewood down to 20%

arboriculturist

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had the head master of local school buy firewood off us since we started he retired last year and wanted a discount on his firewood :lol:

I told him the price was the price he said I can buy imported kiln dryed for £150 for 2 Cube.

He is back with us now he had a crate of ash which if you split the logs in half would be kindling which burnt in minutes.

Still 10p/kwh for Solar thermal installations and no upper usage cap

I think you are the only person in the UK using solar. I researched this intensively and after costing the Tubes, Insulation and installation costs it was negligible if it was worth it.

Air drying seemed a lot easier.

I have not ruled it out but found it hard to source credible data on the drying time required using an insulated structure and solar to dry green Hardwood down to 20-25%.

Seasonal I know with Solar.

Can you comment? Thanks

The argument that kiln dried firewood burns too quick is completely bonkers. I dry all mine to 18-22% in the middle of the log, Which is the same as some of you are stating you get your air dried down to..... So how can it burn any quicker?!

The only difference is I can dry 64 cubic metres in 10 days (2kilns) and yours takes a year? And I can get £120 a cubic metre for it.

We burn a lot of our waste in the burners that would normally either go to landfill or be burnt somewhere else.

The argument that kiln dried firewood burns too quick is completely bonkers. I dry all mine to 18-22% in the middle of the log, Which is the same as some of you are stating you get your air dried down to..... So how can it burn any quicker?!

The only difference is I can dry 64 cubic metres in 10 days (2kilns) and yours takes a year? And I can get £120 a cubic metre for it.

We burn a lot of our waste in the burners that would normally either go to landfill or be burnt somewhere else.

I too have customers who are adamant that kiln dried burn't too quick even though the mc was the same as my air dried. I have read a paper somewhere that kiln drying changes the chemical make up of the wood so burns quicker, certainly Douglas is stronger when kiln dried. I feel there maybe something in this as people are so certain that kiln dried burns quick.

Theres a guy at cumbernauld can't remember the name at the moment used to be a sawmill who's kiln drying his logs to 6 or 8%

I get £120 a cube for my air dried & £94 for my 0.73 bags

A year:lol::lol::lol:

£120 bet your busy going rate round here is £160