Dark flavoured 'Creocote', anyone else using it?

wills-mill

Morning all. I've been bolting some untreated softwood to a concrete framed barn and have given the timbers a coat of dark coloured 'Creocote' to give them a bit of lifespan.

It claims it's oil based and by the smell and look of it I can't help thinking that I've bought a pot of mildly filtered sump oil. I can manage that myself for less than £8 a pot :001_huh:

Have I bought a lemon?

Morning all. I've been bolting some untreated softwood to a concrete framed barn and have given the timbers a coat of dark coloured 'Creocote' to give them a bit of lifespan.

It claims it's oil based and by the smell and look of it I can't help thinking that I've bought a pot of mildly filtered sump oil. I can manage that myself for less than £8 a pot :001_huh:

Have I bought a lemon?

Genuine " Black " creosote you can only buy in bulk containers from trade type farm/building suppliers ( it being carcinogenic ) as opposed to B+Q type pretend stuff in small containers . Question is were did you get it ?

Genuine " Black " creosote you can only buy in bulk containers from trade type farm/building suppliers ( it being carcinogenic ) as opposed to B+Q type pretend stuff in small containers . Question is were did you get it ?

Our local fencing suplier buys it in large quantities and decant sit in 5 gallon barrels you no it's good stuff as it makes your eyes run. It also makes my ski blotchy if I get any on me while using in sunny weather.

Hi, i`ve used it for outside timber a fair amount, same stuff from toolstation, seems quite good, dries in and the stink goes away quite quick, I would think it`s better than smearing your work with dirty engine oil but not as good as the real thing as has been said. Prefer the light flavour myself, think it looks better, cheers

Howdy,

I'm a self confessed Creocote junky.

I love the stuff, jet black when painted on (easy to paint on too!) then returns a nice dark brown color.

I like it as it's cheap, easy to go on and easy on the eye. Lasts maybe 3/4 years before a re-coat.

Obviously proper creosote can't be beaten but it's tricky to get in small amounts these days.

We did a few sheds in Ronseal 5 year wood stain and it was top drawer stuff too, but cost £25 per 5L

👍👍

I'm afraid this is the lightweight, namby pamby 'skimmed milk' version... Creocote rather than Creosote.

you can get the real creosote in 20ltr containers and 45 gallon drums from mole valley farmers or scatt's or any other wing of mole valley but it is in demand i was waiting ages for an order to top up my creosote tank

blasted horses chewing gates and fences

Edited by shavey

I've used Creocote before and I thought it was a bit rubbish, smelt like rotten eggs and the timber looked like it had been washed with muddy water once it dried! Maybe it was a dodgy batch if folks on here seem to like it?

I've also used a brand called Creoseal Plus, this is a lot more like proper creosote, smells nice, and brings out the grain nicely :001_smile:

I've used Creocote before and I thought it was a bit rubbish, smelt like rotten eggs and the timber looked like it had been washed with muddy water once it dried! Maybe it was a dodgy batch if folks on here seem to like it?

I've also used a brand called Creoseal Plus, this is a lot more like proper creosote, smells nice, and brings out the grain nicely :001_smile:

You need to shake them up as the solids settle, used both, no complaints, obviously no comparison to the real stuff but seems to last a few years before it needs another coat, £8 a gallon :thumbup1: