Thinning with an 8t excavator and head

briquette_seller

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, 6 tonne not really weighty enough; as per above vid of Doosan; you can see it lift about on very small wood. 8 Tonne minimum imo. Best standard hydraulic flow is from Terex TC125; cracking long tracked 12 tonner in a compact package. Komatsu also do an 11 tonner but not as gutsy as the Terex.

I thought we where talking thinning not mature felling. My little 3 tonne quite adequate for thinning even if you have to do a high then low cut.

great machine Woodwasp.

Hi John, any info on your head would be appreciatted

Vid I found of the kesla head I use. If I need the reach I use with the forwarding trailer crane to take out the tops before doing the bottom cut. Where you dont need the reach fitting to the excavator is far quicker.

[ame]

[/ame]

Vid of using with timber crane

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by renewablejohn

I wouldn't use that crane or the wheeled base thing either

Edit: I'm not sure how good it would be for cutting racks

Second hand purpose built or excavator base; got to be more usable and better value. Love Hypros but not suited for UK conditions imo. Don't stack very tidy either droppin it from that height. Happy Forwarder Driver Hmmm.

I thought we where talking thinning not mature felling. My little 3 tonne quite adequate for thinning even if you have to do a high then low cut.

You must be a good driver :thumbup: Mature felling tho; seriously, regen harvesting needs an appropriate harvester, not a mini digger. This is a nice example of a 14 ton zero in good material; this size timber is not mature tho!

[ame]

[/ame]