Safety - say it like it is...

Safety Steve

Okay - I reckon the audience have had enough so thanks for all who contributed. If you do OSH yourself then do use the free stuff the HSE provide on managing safely - it is probably what I would use anyway. If you need advice then there is a register of qualified and insured people you can use called OSHCR.

In closing please do me one favour - understand we work with you, not against you. If you get crap advice think, did I; a) ask the right person or b) ask for the right thing.

We people in OSH come from varied backgrounds - if I came from the same place as you I'd have no added value to your business. What's the point of paying someone for knowledge you already have? But we do have an understanding of how to get yourself and your team on track and using OSH to your business advantage. This isn't always about safety when aloft - it might be as mundane as the clip above. The problem here is deep seated and lack of respect for the employers (your) business protection. These guys may have lost or caused cancellation of 4 potential contracts in the cars that passed by alone. That is your money - lost from poor OSH. And if one fell and cracked his head open....?

Thanks for the debate - time to let the animals free and bury the casualties of conversation.....

I have never been the best person to write risk assessments and method statements. I would be interested in how you would identify the risks in the video. What precautions would you put in place and how would you change the operation for the better.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make them put crash helmets on :lol:

Well I did think cycle helmets. I am sure the correct answer will be along the lines of get in the cab at every stop or walk behind the vehicle. Standing on the back is similar to what dustmen did years ago. Standing on a greased tow bar is probably a bad idea :lol:. Are these people in a lot more risk than a kid on a skate board or push bike ?

Well I did think cycle helmets. I am sure the correct answer will be along the lines of get in the cab at every stop or walk behind the vehicle. Standing on the back is similar to what dustmen did years ago. Standing on a greased tow bar is probably a bad idea :lol:. Are these people in a lot more risk than a kid on a skate board or push bike ?

They could make it a bit more interesting for passing motorists by doing hand stands.

I don't think there in any more danger it's just as there been employed to do a job they have to wrapped in cotton wool.

It should be left up to the person to work as they see fit as long as it does not Put others in blatant danger.

Method statements risk assessments are a load of bollocks when you arrive on site quick chat about any issues and crack on. Common sense approach

They could make it a bit more interesting for passing motorists by doing hand stands.

I don't think there in any more danger it's just as there been employed to do a job they have to wrapped in cotton wool.

It should be left up to the person to work as they see fit as long as it does not Put others in blatant danger.

Method statements risk assessments are a load of bollocks when you arrive on site quick chat about any issues and crack on. Common sense approach

I think the buzz word is tool box chat or something similar. The boys in the transit have it covered I can see the driver has an iPad balanced on the steering wheel filling out the risk assessment. I think it's called mul tit tasking.

A year or so ago I had my rams refused because there were no tick boxes or colour. I felt like asking the idiot if he had just left uni or play school.

Same as the routine inspection of lift chains in forklifts.

Inspector hmms and haws and condemms they on a yearly basis anyway, regardless of actual use or wear.

Or a Council Food Safety inspector inspecting a freezer full of salmon after a power failure.

The top-most salmon were still frozen solid enough to drive nails.

Sucks teeth, looks thoughtful, then condemms them all anyway.

"x" years of Uni training, why bother.

I have never been the best person to write risk assessments and method statements. I would be interested in how you would identify the risks in the video. What precautions would you put in place and how would you change the operation for the better.

I'll just have a quick stab at that Steve (and fill in some detail that wouldn't have been apparent from the vid clip):

The local environment:

It's a busy rural 'B' road, 60mph speed limit, blind bends and an offset crossroads, 4 farm entrances onto the road within close proximity, slow moving ag vehicles, livestock on the road, the road alternates between 2 way and single file traffic. There are frequent road traffic accidents (ranging from minor bumps to serious vehicle leaving the carriageway multi vehicle and agricultural vehicle incidents) on this stretch due to excess speed, mud on road, concealed entrances, non 'priority' marked changes from 2 way to single file traffic.

The hazard:

Generic vehicular / road hazards - vehicle / pedestrian workers at risk of collision with other road users.

Means by which the hazard may be reduced to an acceptable level:

Work force to travel inside the vehicle using appropriate seat belts (that's a bit of a 'given' since the behaviour shown in the video might be seen as to contravene RTA section 14 Road Traffic Act 1988 and 26 Road Traffic Act 1988)

Vehicle to display dipped headlights and amber beacons to raise visibility to other road users

Driver to check front and rear for moving traffic prior to deploying workforce

Driver to check work force embarked in vehicle and seat belts in use before moving off.

So, that took me (a regular Joe) 5 mins including my one finger typing, that company employs a full time 'expert' suit to do their RAs.

I think the buzz word is tool box chat or something similar. The boys in the transit have it covered I can see the driver has an iPad balanced on the steering wheel filling out the risk assessment. I think it's called mul tit tasking.

A year or so ago I had my rams refused because there were no tick boxes or colour. I felt like asking the idiot if he had just left uni or play school.

Probably the most important and useful of all the H&S requirements. Its a chance to pull the lads in and straighten out any lapses or sloppiness in working practices, its also a good chance to listen to them about their concerns and thoughts. They clear the air so +1 for toolbox talks because they are of value.

Bob

I'll just have a quick stab at that Steve (and fill in some detail that wouldn't have been apparent from the vid clip):

The local environment:

It's a busy rural 'B' road, 60mph speed limit, blind bends and an offset crossroads, 4 farm entrances onto the road within close proximity, slow moving ag vehicles, livestock on the road, the road alternates between 2 way and single file traffic. There are frequent road traffic accidents (ranging from minor bumps to serious vehicle leaving the carriageway multi vehicle and agricultural vehicle incidents) on this stretch due to excess speed, mud on road, concealed entrances, non 'priority' marked changes from 2 way to single file traffic.

The hazard:

Generic vehicular / road hazards - vehicle / pedestrian workers at risk of collision with other road users.

Means by which the hazard may be reduced to an acceptable level:

Work force to travel inside the vehicle using appropriate seat belts (that's a bit of a 'given' since the behaviour shown in the video might be seen as to contravene RTA section 14 Road Traffic Act 1988 and 26 Road Traffic Act 1988)

Vehicle to display dipped headlights and amber beacons to raise visibility to other road users

Driver to check front and rear for moving traffic prior to deploying workforce

Driver to check work force embarked in vehicle and seat belts in use before moving off.

So, that took me (a regular Joe) 5 mins including my one finger typing, that company employs a full time 'expert' suit to do their RAs.

I think they are more likely to get killed by a passing vehicle getting in and out

of the van than falling off the back. Covering the van in beacons means everyone is driving past blind and can't see the workers for all the dazzle.

I think they are more likely to get killed by a passing vehicle getting in and out

of the van than falling off the back. Covering the van in beacons means everyone is driving past blind and can't see the workers for all the dazzle.

What would the odds be of falling off the back and then getting struck by a moving vehicle:confused1: