Stihl 241 vs Husqy 550

Joe Newton

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with the replacement carb, I do have a couple of butterflies laying about...

Not sure if the L jet Eddie speaks of are the 2-3 holes in the base of the carb that let the fuel in to the bore of the carb or the jet in the metering section but how about opening up the small semi circle in the throttle valve so you get a greater blast through of air - it may give a result that then other actions can be done to make it work better.

In manufacturing I sometimes made big adjustments to machines to see what result it would have so it could then be reset to the datum and a smaller adjustment then made.

In this instance, if making this semi circle larger makes it worse then rotate the valve through 180deg and make it smaller! Sometimes they already have a smaller cut out on the other side!

I was considering doing that. I predict it will work...for a bit. I'll open it a tiny bit like I have seen on some of the 441CM mods, and hopefully not get the chain spinning. Coz once the MT sees her spinning, it will be in a rich running spiral of death thanks to MTronic trying to tame it in.

Right now I am in the middle of testing the filter system. I am going to run it until Friday afternoon and see how much stuff I can tap off it. It's been a very busy week with firewood and blow downs, too. I haven't so much as started the 044. I have been solely using the 241, and this with blown down spruce up to 2'+ DBH.

I was considering doing that. I predict it will work...for a bit. I'll open it a tiny bit like I have seen on some of the 441CM mods, and hopefully not get the chain spinning. Coz once the MT sees her spinning, it will be in a rich running spiral of death thanks to MTronic trying to tame it in.

Right now I am in the middle of testing the filter system. I am going to run it until Friday afternoon and see how much stuff I can tap off it. It's been a very busy week with firewood and blow downs, too. I haven't so much as started the 044. I have been solely using the 241, and this with blown down spruce up to 2'+ DBH.

I thought the new carb had resolved your issues:confused1: Guess not:thumbdown:

I thought the new carb had resolved your issues:confused1: Guess not:thumbdown:

It's new. My old issue was the carb wasn't working at all. This one works. But it still has the bog the earlier 241's were notorious for.

Not sure if the L jet Eddie speaks of are the 2-3 holes in the base of the carb that let the fuel in to the bore of the carb or the jet in the metering section but how about opening up the small semi circle in the throttle valve so you get a greater blast through of air - it may give a result that then other actions can be done to make it work better.

In manufacturing I sometimes made big adjustments to machines to see what result it would have so it could then be reset to the datum and a smaller adjustment then made.

In this instance, if making this semi circle larger makes it worse then rotate the valve through 180deg and make it smaller! Sometimes they already have a smaller cut out on the other side!

It's the first hole (closest to the cylinder). The old tillotson carb guides are very useful for the info. Air (when the butterfly is closed) feeds through the second hole and out the first, but at WOT fuel is drawn from all 3.

Well Iam sticking to the 241. i had a 2012 550 it was horrible, great when running but getting it running was the problem. i wouldn't dream of taking it up a tree. My 240 will start 1st pull every time from warm start.

I have heard that the 550 are a lot better now.

It's new. My old issue was the carb wasn't working at all. This one works. But it still has the bog the earlier 241's were notorious for.

Other than the bog, I really have no complaints.

158973628.d7edNOfV.jpg

There is a lot between them. The 550 is a different animal to the 241. Almost the same weight as each other, but the power difference is huge. ......

Exactly! :biggrin:

There are of course quite a bit of overlap in what they are useful for - but the 550xp is a much stronger saw when needed.

When I was making a shortlist, I had among others, both the 550XP and MS241 C-M. The 550 got axed because of all the problems it had at that time. The 2013/2014 onwards ones seem to be sorted. I don't cut every day so I don't need a pro saw. But came real close to getting the 241. In the end, I decided that if I was going to have to carry the weight and didn't want a saw on a timed self-destruct. I could be happy with more than the 241's 2.2kW but less then the 550's 2.8kW; and ended up with the 545 at 2.5kW.

Ok, it's not a pro saw but has handled everything I've asked of it with ease. Without problem or anything breaking. Mainly coppice, with I bit of hedging, felling Grandis and the occasional windblown beech, ash oak, etc. So, if you want more than the one and want to save a few bob on the other, get a 545. If you've got the £s and can't face having a 2.2kW saw. Get the 550 with a couple of different bars, say a 13" & 18".