Stihl 241 vs Husqy 550

Joe Newton

Any reason in particular Wyk? I'm inclined to go Husqy but the 241 looks like Stihl have accidentally made a decent new ground saw!

o no! I was really wanting to get a 241😞 what's up with it?

It's good ported, and I use my ported one nearly every day. It is a very well built quality bit of kit. But stock, it just is so far behind the 550, especially at it's price point, I don't think it is good value. The 550 is more responsive and far more powerful, and only weighs ~10 ounces more than the 241.

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good ported, and I use my ported one nearly every day. It is a very well built quality bit of kit. But stock, it just is so far behind the 550, especially at it's price point, I don't think it is good value. The 550 is more responsive and far more powerful, and only weighs ~10 ounces more than the 241.

Cheers, that's settled then :)

Just so I'm sure, you put a husky bar on a stihl, and suddenly it shaves 4.5 seconds off its time!?

I've got you porting types sussed :P

Still want 1 :blushing:

I'd rather have a Shindaiwa 452S. ;) Far better limber, especially modified. The 241 has torque. I was freeing 2 foot DBH spruce blow downs today from their rootballs with it with hardly a complaint.

Cheers Jay. The 357 is a joy to use on a 15" bar. Spud ported it and I geared it up on the sprocket. It's fast, so much so in fact that I almost fully severed a hinge today before the tree was committed!

Problem is that when flicking it through brash it can flick up at you if you're not careful, and is a bit of a lump at full arms reach. Hence a lighter saw is on the list.

The 550 seems to tick the boxes. I'll probably whack a 13" bar on it, and I've got a spare 8t rim lying around somewhere.

I normally prefer stihl but have been massively disappointed recently with the 362 and 201t so thought I'd give husky a whirl and overall I'm impressed and the 550 seems to improve with every tank through it. For small felling/sending etc I think it's hard to beat

Just so I'm sure, you put a husky bar on a stihl, and suddenly it shaves 4.5 seconds off its time!?

Well, averaged 4-4.5 seconds less VS the 10 seconds with the Stihl bar. If I had found an Echo bar, times would have been truly mad then.

I normally prefer stihl but have been massively disappointed recently with the 362 and 201t so thought I'd give husky a whirl and overall I'm impressed and the 550 seems to improve with every tank through it. For small felling/sending etc I think it's hard to beat

Send those Stihl's to Spud for a simple muff mod and timing, and they will become entirely different saws. :)

I had to put some work into my 241 before I was happy with it. I am still considering modifying the compression and redoing the transfers.

Send those Stihl's to Spud for a simple muff mod and timing, and they will become entirely different saws. :)

I had to put some work into my 241 before I was happy with it. I am still considering modifying the compression and redoing the transfers.

Worth knowing, We've got a couple of 200t to send to him as soon as I get round to it for him to work his magic on!

Yeah Joe, take the lid off yours and look inside, I think you will find the ports have been opened up a tad:sneaky2::001_rolleyes::lol::001_tt2:

I think the Christmas fairy could climb through the exhaust port:thumbup: