Is beech worth milling?

wisecobandit

Yep worktops and kitchen things etc , chopping boards , butchers blocks etc also flooring ... trouble is it is not greatly valued and, nice wood , mostly imported can be had quite cheap . If spalted or with nice colouring ( often referred to as mineral staining it has more uses ) I might be interested in some ( not tonnes !! ) not sure where you are in Devon but I would like to assess it once felled to see if there are any bits of interest to me , I often cut and store chunks wrapped in cling film to induce/ advance spalting myself . Terry .. ps I am in Newton Abbot ..

Well it will certainly be ringed up if its not 100%.

It just doesn't make sense to drag it out in the open so whatever I do will be done in situ where its felled in the wood.

as they are woodland trees the chances are they will be good and straight and are worth milling.

if you were closer i'd be after them for skittle timber as i use 5" squares to make my sets of skittles from...

try not to waste all that good wood. don't forget, colour should not matter as long as it's good sound timber...

Its not to far away from you its prob 15 mile away.

Like you say its not greatly valued etc just seems a shame it all goes for firewood that's all and decent sized stuff I sometimes think could be worth doing something a bit more interesting with rather than end up as logs all the time.

I get a reasonable amount of oak and beech and it all goes own that route so it would be nice to find a use. Ive debated doing some field gatepost etc with the oak so assessing I guess if its worth buying a chainsaw mill.

as they are woodland trees the chances are they will be good and straight and are worth milling.

if you were closer i'd be after them for skittle timber as i use 5" squares to make my sets of skittles from...

try not to waste all that good wood. don't forget, colour should not matter as long as it's good sound timber...

I would guess truth beknown some would be envious of what ends up as my logs.

This year ive probably had 10 big European oaks and similar amount of large beeches which have just blown over due to soft soil through no fault of there own and just end up as firewood. All perfectly good wood. When I see others using it for other purposes it just seems criminal at times.

if it's perfectly good wood then i'm firmly in the camp of why chop it up for firewood?

the branches should go on the fire and the trunks should go to the mill...

I agree with you but the effort involved sometimes would be beyond a sensible amount. The extraction of such a lump of timber, outlay to get it milled and then the storage is questionable when you can just ring it up and split it for logs.