Eager groundies causing mayhem!

StirlingArb

Had a few incidents today when taking down some poplars, due to a groundy, you know the one, always eager to just pick up a saw, or just pull on that rope, takes shortcuts, doesn't listen when it comes to teamwork.

got all the brash off and our climber put the rigging rope and pulleys up, it was the first time in a while the RC2000 was to be brought out the bag, I'm the only one trained to use the rigging gear and take charge when doing so.

I walked over to grab the gear and he runs over, grabs the bag and runs to the tree to set it up, ends up setting it upside down, so I tell him how its done and show him the right way, after several limbs lowered safely, I set the rope ready for the next limb, as I walked the rope back I could see that he stayed to look at the setup, he then came to hold the rope with me and it was only until the limb was cut and that the rope didn't feed through that I had to put myself in the danger area and go to see the device, It became apparent that he removed the rope from the back of the device which caused it to slide forward along the barrel and pinch the other turns.

It was an intimidating feeling to say the least being stood under a limb weighing around half a tonne, trying to get the rope to feed through. :cursing::scared1:

Thought it best not to say too much to him for I may have lost my temper with him, so will have some calm but stern and serious words with him in the morning!

:bash:

Its just all about training. He's keen, thats the main thing. He just needs showing. Its no good not saying anything and coming on Arbtalk to discuss it, he won't learn. Take him under your wing and help him improve. You just need to approach it carefully so he sees you are thinking of bettering him. You don't want him to think you are condescending or it will have a negative effect.

Sounds like he wants to know, just hasn't been shown.

Cheers

Its just all about training. He's keen, thats the main thing. He just needs showing. Its no good not saying anything and coming on Arbtalk to discuss it, he won't learn. Take him under your wing and help him improve. You just need to approach it carefully so he sees you are thinking of bettering him. You don't want him to think you are condescending or it will have a negative effect.

Sounds like he wants to know, just hasn't been shown.

Cheers

Totally agree. It's all about "mentoring".

But, there are some individuals on this planet who are beyond help.................. Not sure which category applies here:confused1:

Make sure your words are in private and I would also document the conversation and have the employee sign and date this document file it with this employees records.

easy-lift guy

aren't you allowed to give verbal warnings without documenting everything.

Had a little chat with him in private today,

I don't necessarily mind the eagerness as I am willing to teach him and I have done so with a few things, it was the fact that he changed the setup of the rig which has concerned me.

Had a little chat about what his career path is for the future too, doesn't seem to want to do his CS courses, yet wants to grab a saw at every opportunity, I wont allow him to use one until he's qualified, just that every time I have seen him pick up the saw he hasn't got chainsaw pants on either :confused1:

Hahaha I don't know what is better there mate, maybe the one that is still in bed? :sneaky2:

Will see how things go for the future and try to help him even more.

Wish me luck! :thumbup:

- Jay

aren't you allowed to give verbal warnings without documenting everything.

Considering the savarity of the reckless behavior of the employee I feel written documentation and having same employee sign off on said document should help the employee to understand his role to avoid future mistakes or worse. I just read Jay's response after he had his chat. If Jay is willing to work with his employee that is fine, however keep it by the book.

easy-lift guy

Edited by easy-lift guy