New member new saw

pinhead

Well I got home last night and grabbed an hour or 2 so 

New to me saw had been delivered and it looks tidy don't think it has done much bar has hardly any wear and chain looks virtually new so far so good 

Before I went away I bought a draper compression tester so I tested both saws

026 old saw farmertech top end 145 psi 

036 new to me 180psi

Put some fresh gas in and topped the bar oil up and gave it a try 

Wow this saw has some grunt runs spot on will check plug colour some time during the week when I do some logging and adjust carb if necessary 

So that's £100 plus post well spent 

So I need to look at this 026 coil maybe tomorrow's job 

Most 026/MS260s I have worked on with OEM top ends pull 170-180 with ease. 145 is low on one of these saws, in fact, very low. I would say that you have your problem right there and until you get back to decent compression, any other repair action is futile.....just my opinion!

You can actually tell quite a bit about the saw from "ne pull"compression. You tend to get half of the compression reading on the first pull and the rest from the next 5-6. So - if you get 90psi with one pull, you are likely to get around 180 with lots of pulls on a decent engine.

The 036 sounds pretty good, probably worth looking out for an 026/MS260 OEM top end for the 026!

• Like 1

You may be right and the original top end may have just been worn out hence the same lack lustre performance 

I will look at the coil tomorrow and go over the wires with a fine tooth comb maybe even swap the 036 coil on and try that if it still doesn't perform then I will look out for an original top end for it or move it on on eBay and pick up another as I still want a smaller saw for the little stuff 

I am also in the look out for a 088 880 for milling and really big stuff just to complete the package and hopefully the addiction will be satisfied by then